Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, While Googling some information on 2013 C50's, one site said it had a "high 5th gear" for comfortable highway cruising, while the Suzuki site for C50T states "... tuned for excellent low rpm power and torque."

Have they changed the gear ratios on the recent model C50's so they don't have such high rpms anymore?

Also, the 5th or 6th post in the following thread ( C50 needs 6th gear - Motorcycle Forum ) discusses using a slightly larger rear tire as a way to decrease rpms by 9.1%. Is there any merit to this approach?

I'm still debating doing the DJ mod versus upgrading the bike versus learning to live with it.

Thanks!
Gary

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Hi, While Googling some information on 2013 C50's, one site said it had a "high 5th gear" for comfortable highway cruising, while the Suzuki site for C50T states "... tuned for excellent low rpm power and torque."

Have they changed the gear ratios on the recent model C50's so they don't have such high rpms anymore?

Also, the 5th or 6th post in the following thread ( C50 needs 6th gear - Motorcycle Forum ) discusses using a slightly larger rear tire as a way to decrease rpms by 9.1%. Is there any merit to this approach?

I'm still debating doing the DJ mod versus upgrading the bike versus learning to live with it.

Thanks!
Gary
No, the C50 hasn't had a change in final drive ratio. The marketing text you quoted is the hype that they have been using all along.

There is only one larger size tire that will fit but it may not be worth the extra money or potential fit problems when you have to replace it every year or two. The more permanent fix is the ''DJ'' mod. That way if you sell the bike after up grading to a bigger bike, you can recoup most of your cost.

The DJ type mod is definitely worth the money and the search for the rare one that comes available.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It all depends on what one's comfortable with and what they consider highway speeds. My 2012 is fine at freeway speeds here in my state. 65 and 70mph isn't an issue on a stock C50, the rpms are easily within reason.

·
Registered
19,521 Posts

Thanks!
Gary
Nothing has changed in the transmission of the C50 since it's days as a Volusia. It is the same bike, with the same gear ratio. The google search returned marketing speak, which is another word for bull shite...

You can reduce your gear ratio one of two ways. By going with a DJ Drive or any of its variants (a C90, LS1500, LS1400 donor drive machined to fit the C50) or you can use what we call redneck gear changes. Put on a larger rear tire. Unfortunately, the largest tire you can put on the bike is a 200/70-15, which is less than an inch taller than the OEM size and will only reduce your final drive ratio a little bit.

Honestly, the DJ drive is the way to go. I loved my bike with one installed. The only other alternative is a larger displacement bike with better gear ratios for freeway riding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for your replies. Since I used to own a Goldwing, I guess I became used to how those sound (rpm-wise) at highway speed. But since I mainly do rural road driving around the cornfields and the Goldwing seemed too bulky and heavy for that, I decided to get something more nimble.

RicH H: I have the same year and color as you. Purrtty! I still need to post a pic. I tried the other day, but the upload failed for some reason.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies. Since I used to own a Goldwing, I guess I became used to how those sound (rpm-wise) at highway speed. But since I mainly do rural road driving around the cornfields and the Goldwing seemed too bulky and heavy for that, I decided to get something more nimble.

RicH H: I have the same year and color as you. Purrtty! I still need to post a pic. I tried the other day, but the upload failed for some reason.
WOW! Goldwing to a C50. That is a BIG change.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A c50 is a perfect country cruising bike!
Agree with that. As long as I stay off the 55 mph+ highways, I am perfectly happy with the C50T. It's a great bike for cruising the Indiana cornfield roads.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello,
With the MJ Drive Kit ( My link is here: http://www.volusiariders.com/50-swap-meet/262162-dj-drive-sale-mj-drive-version.html#post2360538 ) you can still have the best of both worlds. The RPM's are lowered by about 14% over all. Thus after installing the MJ Drive Kit, your new 4th gear will feel very close to your current (OEM) 5th gear ratio. So by using gears 1 thru 4 on the back country roads it will feel just about like a stock C50, but when ever you're out on the highway...... well then you will still have that 5th gear which lowers the revs by 14% !!!!!!!!
Mike :scoot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts