Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
FX4 said:
Although I do think a few more mods would have solved these problems.
Pullback risers
Highway pegs with extensions

DJ drive to help with the buzziness and give it a little more umph at highway speed.
Forgot to mention those in my post just above. I have 2" spacers on my risers, and also have a DJ drive. I added the Bully processor & K&N filter about 1500 miles ago, and really appreciate the extra power although I'm still messing with tuning it to get the best economy also.

·
Premium Member
27,210 Posts
ColoradoCruiser said:
FX4 said:
Although I do think a few more mods would have solved these problems.
Pullback risers
Highway pegs with extensions

DJ drive to help with the buzziness and give it a little more umph at highway speed.
Forgot to mention those in my post just above. I have 2" spacers on my risers, and also have a DJ drive. I added the Bully processor & K&N filter about 1500 miles ago, and really appreciate the extra power although I'm still messing with tuning it to get the best economy also.
I think that stuff makes all the difference in the world on the C50. Once you have done those things its a really rideable bike.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
ColoradoCruiser said:
I have the identical setup, with de-baffled stock pipes. Try setting your Bully for Stage-2, then subtract .5 from Mode-1
I'm averaging 48-50mpg, and I drive it like it's a Gixxer! ;)

-Tim

·
Registered
20,808 Posts
I've done a number of 300 and 500 miles days on my C50. It was plenty comfortable and readily up to the task.....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Done a few 300-400+ days and a trip from Fl to Md and back last summer with the DJ drive. Rode back roads and interstates in comfort. Bluebadger was with me on some of the rides as well as to Md on a stock C50. Neither of us had a problem although she now has the DJ drive and prefers it.

Cheers

·
Registered
292 Posts
I did a 5200 mile trip in September:

http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2399&PN=4

No problems at all with the bike.

Some things I consider important on my trip:

Mustang seat w/backrest
2" riser extensions
Good windshield
Vista Cruise
Highway pegs
Earplugs
Tank bag
Gold Bond powder
Lubricant eye drops (for the evening)

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. - Mark Twain

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did around 1700 miles down to Silver Springs, NV and back to Vancouver, Wa in 3 days last summer. She ran like a top all the way!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have put over 26,000 trouble free, enjoyable miles on my DJ Drive, from Aug 07 to Dec 08. Most of my long rides are either 958 miles to my daughters house in RI. A non-stop, 19+1/2 hour, one way ride from my NC house. Or, the 800 one way miles in 14 hours to and from my Fla/NC homes. I have 3 inch handle bar risers, windshield, highway bars and pegs, back rest, and two beverage holders. I stop for gas and rest rooms only, having small snacks at that time that I prepare ahead of time. Large Tsukayu hard bags, VIP trunk, a back pack on the pillion and tank bag carries all my needs. I average 75/80 miles on the interstates south of Pa, but the speed limits north of there do slow me down a bit. And, crazy as it may sound, I have no problem with the stock seat! They must have designed it with my little bony butt in mind, because I don't get numb or achey or? Only sweaty in the summer time and, lifting up your butt once in a while at 70 mph, dries it off pretty quick :wink: . If all goes well, I will be riding a custom Volkswagen trike with a full bucket seat this summer though 8) :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bikerpop, Go on with your big, bad self. I used to do that when I was a youner pup and a lot of time on my hands. Would love to be doin that again. Somday soon I hope. I got it all... a DJ drive and a mustang seat but I'm still thinkin a bigger motor might make a world of difference. I know it can all be done on a C50 and a C50 is really about the size I'm comfortable with but a little more motor would be nice too. Happy trails!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
HaHaHa, I'm so old I fart dust! The C-50 is about all the weight I care to wrestle when I am tired. Almost fell over a couple times as it is. Thus my next ride will be a trike, a little harder to fall over with them there three wheels :lol:
jaminator said:
Bikerpop, Go on with your big, bad self. I used to do that when I was a youner pup and a lot of time on my hands. Would love to be doin that again. Somday soon I hope. I got it all... a DJ drive and a mustang seat but I'm still thinkin a bigger motor might make a world of difference. I know it can all be done on a C50 and a C50 is really about the size I'm comfortable with but a little more motor would be nice too. Happy trails!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
mistressk said:
i did 2,000 miles in 9 days on mine last summer, and about a 1,400 mile 7-day tour the year before - never a hiccup. it burned a little oil (maybe 300ml), but that's no big deal if you check periodically.

it's a great bike for touring! :D

cheers!

-mistress k
Check your oil at least every other fuel stop.
Mine used a very small ammount between oil changes under normal commuting and day rides so I made sure I checked it befor I left to go to GB acouple of years ago. Did not check it there or befor the return trip. I almost made it home. I guess the constant high rpm's of interstate riding caused my oil consumption to increase and I did not catch it untill too late and it started knocking. A small cheap telescoping mirror kept handy makes it easy to do at the pump befor cranking it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Checking the oil frequently is a good thing to point out. I'll use a pint for every 1,000 miles of high speed slab riding. But I have well over 40,000 miles on my 05 C-50, and thought it was just me. Pretty common though, so I see from other's posts.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I did a trip to Niagara and back last summer, about 1000 miles total. The bike did just fine.

Funny about the oil consumption. My bike never uses a drop of oil, but after that trip I didn't realize I was a quart low until a month later. Lucky I didn't damage anything... I'll be more aware of my oil from now on. I used to check it every time I rode, and then stopped because it never changed.

·
Premium Member
28,196 Posts
I did a 500 mile ride on day one, and 500 miles back on day 2 on my Volusia (non-dj) with 2 other non-dj Volusia riders...all the bikes did great. Not a single problem (although my knees and hips were in agony).

Ed

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
danimal said:
I did a trip to Niagara and back last summer, about 1000 miles total. The bike did just fine.

Funny about the oil consumption. My bike never uses a drop of oil, but after that trip I didn't realize I was a quart low until a month later. Lucky I didn't damage anything... I'll be more aware of my oil from now on. I used to check it every time I rode, and then stopped because it never changed.
Was that Niagara trip at higher speeds/rpms than your normal riding? .. Because, I noticed that if I just tool around the mountains and stay under 50 mph and/or 3,000 rpm, I don't notice any significant oil consumption between changes. Just on the sustained slab speed runs, do I use oil noticably.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
BIKERPOP said:
danimal said:

Was that Niagara trip at higher speeds/rpms than your normal riding? .. Because, I noticed that if I just tool around the mountains and stay under 50 mph and/or 3,000 rpm, I don't notice any significant oil consumption between changes. Just on the sustained slab speed runs, do I use oil noticably.
There was a good bit of slab riding- 65+ but a lot of back roads stuff too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
With a mustang seat I rode from New York City to Milwaukee, then up into Canada then east back to New York City.

2 weeks total, Over 2,000 miles.

Not even a hic cup. BUT at high speeds on the highway, it did sound like a lawn mower.

Max

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Ride it like youy stole it.

Last summer I rode from Las Vegas to Hollywood 250 plus miles averaging 85-90 most of the way over the mountains. Then from Hollywood to the Sequoia National Park and then back to Vegas in one day almost 800 miles.

I don't understand how some people say you can't ride fast. How fast do you want to go?

The C50 has a nice purr at 85.

I have over 23k on this bike and it still does not use any oil.

Wind it out rev it up you won't break it!

8)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts