Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 07 c50t with a c90 drive. Has anyone taken this type of bike on a longer road trip 500+ miles. If so, how did it perform? Are there issues to be aware of and things to do to insure a fun and safe trip? Thanks, NCCC50t

·
Registered
806 Posts
Did 1,600 miles in a week with the DJ drive on my 2004 Vol. Ran great. The ONLY thing I have a concern about is that I have tube type tires. A flat usually cannot be fixed by the side of the road. Other than that, it's great.

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
i did 2,000 miles in 9 days on mine last summer, and about a 1,400 mile 7-day tour the year before - never a hiccup. it burned a little oil (maybe 300ml), but that's no big deal if you check periodically.

it's a great bike for touring! :D

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
Nope, never been on a long ride with a C50. :oops:
Been on a few with a Volusia though. Got a C90 drive in it now but haven't had a chance to run it over the highway for any distance as of yet. Should be alright by the way things read in the Motors, Transmissions & Drives forum.

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
The only limitation is your own tolerance for sitting still for a long period of time. :lol: Longest I have done in a day is 420 miles...stopping only for gas (once not even getting off the bike) and 1 quick meal. I could easily have done 7-800 that day. Of course, I have everything tweaked on my bike for my personal riding comfort (seat, bars, and pegs).

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I have done a number of 500 + mile rides in a day with my 05 C50 equipped with the DJ drive. As stated above just make sure you changed the stock seat and checked the oil.
This summer I'll do a Nova Scotia trip about 1000 miles each way.
The only fear you should have is the condition of your hemorrhoids, but that's an age thing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I did over 700 miles on my 08 C50 with stock drive. It performed extremely well. This was a 2 up ride through the Ouchita mountains in southeastern Oklahoma. The bike cruised like a champ. We ran between 70 and 80 on the Interstate and between 60 and 70 on the state highways. As for a DJ drive, I think it would be great to have one and it would probably make the bike perform more like a Honda VTX 1300 since it would not be as low geared. The C50 was designed for low end torque thats why it has a lower gear ratio. Anywhere between 60 and 80 mph my bike sounds like a purring cat. Running between 35 and 45 on city streets the bike seems like it needs a 6th gear but once on the highway it sounds, drives and rides great. My only complaint was the seat, after 4 hours of riding you begin to start wonder how good a Mustang seat might be.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Rode an '03 Volusia about 1700 miles or so over 4 days in 2004. Last day was straight home.....almost 700 miles in just under 15 hours. If there was such a thing as a DJ drive then it would have made a difference. Lots of rpms on the slab.

Most important thing to me is what WGD said........comfort. Monkey butt is NOT fun. Neither are sore shoulders or back. Another thing not usually mentioned......earplugs. The wind noise will really wear on you after a while. The quieter the better.

Barry

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
I rode my C50 1000+ miles in 18 1/2 hours. However, I don't have the DJ drive. Many have taken this bike on long drives with the stock setup. I am not sure how many with the DJ, but I am sure it has been done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank for all the info.

I really appreciate the responses. You've all confirmed what I thought was true. I have done occasional highway runs and one small road trip. My brother, son, and I are planning to run from Baltimore up through Western Pa, the Cumberland gap, laurel mountains and then over to north western Ohio. Thanks for the tip on the oil. I am assuming it is motor oil and not final drive oil. Should be a lot of fun. Thanks again for the confidence builder. NCC50t

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
Re: Thank for all the info.

NCC50t said:
I really appreciate the responses. You've all confirmed what I thought was true. I have done occasional highway runs and one small road trip. My brother, son, and I are planning to run from Baltimore up through Western Pa, the Cumberland gap, laurel mountains and then over to north western Ohio. Thanks for the tip on the oil. I am assuming it is motor oil and not final drive oil. Should be a lot of fun. Thanks again for the confidence builder. NCC50t
yep, mine burns just a little motor oil. never had a problem with final drive oil.

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
503 Posts
My dad took my bike from Louisiana to Colorado up through the Dakota's, across Minnesota and into Wisconsin. Then back to Louisiana.

His last trip up to my home in Wisconsin he drove back to Louisiana before the hurricane and drove 20 hours straight, in rain etc...

A lot of people preach it, but he has "the" iron butt lol.

·
Premium Member
27,210 Posts
There are a lot of guys that have gone on cross country trips on the C50. It will do just fine. You may be a little beat up but the bike will handle the distance.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Put about 14,000 miles on my DJ drive last summer, with no problems. My longest trips were about 3000 miles down the coast, to Ronnie's in Nevada and home, and about 2000 miles to the Yellowstone Rally. Another 1500 or so on a trip to Alberta and several trips to Seattle. Rode through rainstorms, wind, and Seattle interstates and the bike does just fine. I have a mustang seat -- I couldn't do 200 miles on the stock so I ditched it early. Otherwise, as long as you are comfortable riding all day, the bike will do fine. As barry mentioned, earplugs are well worth it. The wind and bike noise gets very fatiguing at high speeds over time. I actually listen to my mp3 player most of the time on the highway, otherwise I have earplugs in.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I rode 3500 in 7 days last summer... Actually since 1 day was a rest day, it would have been 3500 in 6 days!

I reckon I'll be doing that again this year, at least a couple times. ;)

-Tim

·
Registered
438 Posts
diehard said:
If you ride 500 miles in one day, you're gonna be sore, I don't care what bike you're riding.
I disagree. I did 437 miles in one day on my c50t with a Mustang seat and at the end of the day there was no pain. In fact I felt pretty good. I can't say the same for the HD sportster riders that were with me. I saw a hole lot of butt repositioning and standing up on the pegs toward the end of the ride.

Bottom line it was all good.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've done quite a few 300 mile days, and a couple of 500 mile days.

This July I'm planning on going from Denver to near Seattle, approx 3000 miles round trip. 3 days to get there, 3 days to visit, 3 days to get home.

I'm not anticipating any problems, my longer rides have been fine so far. On the 500 mile rides, I could have gone further without issues...

Mustang seat, windshield, footpegs on the cobra bars - all add to the comfort of long rides.

·
Premium Member
27,210 Posts
mrnascar97 said:
diehard said:
If you ride 500 miles in one day, you're gonna be sore, I don't care what bike you're riding.
I disagree. I did 437 miles in one day on my c50t with a Mustang seat and at the end of the day there was no pain. In fact I felt pretty good. I can't say the same for the HD sportster riders that were with me. I saw a hole lot of butt repositioning and standing up on the pegs toward the end of the ride.

Bottom line it was all good.
Your a better man than I. The Mustang seat helps but at the end of 400 mile day on the C50 I was sore and spent. I did quite a few 4-500 mile days on it. Neck and upper back, and hips always hurt. It takes about 700 miles on my SG to start feeling that way.

Although I do think a few more mods would have solved these problems.
Pullback risers
Highway pegs with extensions

DJ drive to help with the buzziness and give it a little more umph at highway speed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts