Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I transitioned from a dirt bike to the Volusia. The suspension on the Volusia delivers some spine jarring shots, particularly on a concrete road with expansion joint buckles. With the cruiser seating position, your feet two feet foward of your rear, you can't absorb much shock with your legs. Do all cruisers beat you this badly or is it just the Volusia? The shock is in the 2 or 3 position. I'm about 185 lbs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I weigh about the same as you, but I've had smooth riding on my C50 and my previous cruiser, too.
You probably shouldn't generalize your experience on one particular bike to the whole category, so I'd say you should take a closer look to see what's happening.
Cruisers are supposed to be all about comfort.
That's why I ride them. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
If you have a Volusia, you have an older bike. Like anything with years and miles on them, things get loose and parts need replaced. A fully up to date and tight Volusia should be comfortable with a bit of bump at the limits. Everything from the tires, to the bushings to the shocks and springs, even the seat all contribute to the ride. I would start checking things out and see if some of your suspension needs attention. Get yourself a shop manual and check the specs and replace whatever you need to.

Good Luck and Ride Safe & Often

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I weigh about the same as you, but I've had smooth riding on my C50 and my previous cruiser, too.
You probably shouldn't generalize your experience on one particular bike to the whole category, so I'd say you should take a closer look to see what's happening.
Cruisers are supposed to be all about comfort.
That's why I ride them. :cool:
Thanks for your reply. Louisiana is known for terrible roads. I think I'm spoiled from the much larger suspension travel of the old off and on and how it swallowed bumps and holes while leaving me pretty much stationary. I've had no experience with other cruisers and wondered if they all ride like the Volusia.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a Volusia, you have an older bike. Like anything with years and miles on them, things get loose and parts need replaced. A fully up to date and tight Volusia should be comfortable with a bit of bump at the limits. Everything from the tires, to the bushings to the shocks and springs, even the seat all contribute to the ride. I would start checking things out and see if some of your suspension needs attention. Get yourself a shop manual and check the specs and replace whatever you need to.

Good Luck and Ride Safe & Often
Thanks. The bike's pretty low mileage (13K). On a smooth road it's very comfortable. I have no experience on other cruisers, I was wondering how the Volusia/C50 compares.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
No. My Vulcan rode like a cloud, compared to my C50. My CTX is even better.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
The suspension on the VL800 is harsh. Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket options for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I transitioned from a dirt bike to the Volusia. The suspension on the Volusia delivers some spine jarring shots, particularly on a concrete road with expansion joint buckles. With the cruiser seating position, your feet two feet foward of your rear, you can't absorb much shock with your legs. Do all cruisers beat you this badly or is it just the Volusia? The shock is in the 2 or 3 position. I'm about 185 lbs.
Check to make sure your bike was not lowered. Had that problem with my 08 C90. Unlowered it and rode much better. Then upgraded shock absorber and rode even better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts