Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Harley Sportster Question

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr. Efficiency 
#1 ·
Yes, another Harley question/thread. But in this one I'm really looking for an answer.

I mentioned in another post that I'm contemplating spending the winter doing one of those Ryca kit conversions on either a Suzi Savage or an HD Sportster. It'll be a fun way to get to a second bike. For a handful of reasons, I'm thinking the Sportster may be the better way to go. I'll try and find a cheap, well kept one from the past 25 years.

So my questions....are there bad years for Sportsters? Anything to keep in mind when I get around to shopping?

#3 ·
I figure I'm looking from 1990 on. I think that rules out AMF.

For the kit to work, I can't get any of the "custom" series. I've seen a bunch of 883s that look pretty good for around $3K. With cash in hand, I can probably get one for less.

#5 ·
I think the savage would be more fun to drive. lightweight and fast. cheaper too. can buy a good bike for $1000.00

Reactions: pbryon
#6 ·
Yes, another Harley question/thread. But in this one I'm really looking for an answer.

I mentioned in another post that I'm contemplating spending the winter doing one of those Ryca kit conversions on either a Suzi Savage or an HD Sportster. It'll be a fun way to get to a second bike. For a handful of reasons, I'm thinking the Sportster may be the better way to go. I'll try and find a cheap, well kept one from the past 25 years.

So my questions....are there bad years for Sportsters? Anything to keep in mind when I get around to shopping?

Search in a broad range, with cash in hand, there are at least 50 on my local craigslist and im certain 4500 bucks woulD net you an unused 2010 plus. The bottom line get the cheapest, and tallest one, you can find. Its so easy to find a reasonable 2010 plus, I probably wouldnt consider an earlier one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: pbryon
#9 ·
Inflated new england pricing. Lots listed here for more but cash is king.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I see similar here. Good thing is I can afford to wait, and turn down folks who don't want to pay my price.

The 6'2" thing worries me a bit as well, since I'm the same. But I figure at the end, this isn't going to be my primary. Likely only going to get ridden on local jaunts.

Have to figure out garage tetris first. Or procure a shed or storage unit to do the work in. Just wondering what to look out for right now.

(By the way, the reason for Sporty over Savage is that the kit is cheaper on a Sporty, though the Savage is certainly cheaper than the Sporty. The kit is also easier to install on the Sporty. A bit less involved. [I'm a novice at this, though willing to learn.] A Sporty has more power. And a Sporty might have higher resale later, should I go that way. And, dare I say it, I can also then say that I've owned an H-D!)

#13 ·
I see similar here. Good thing is I can afford to wait, and turn down folks who don't want to pay my price.

The 6'2" thing worries me a bit as well, since I'm the same. But I figure at the end, this isn't going to be my primary. Likely only going to get ridden on local jaunts.

Have to figure out garage tetris first. Or procure a shed or storage unit to do the work in. Just wondering what to look out for right now.

BeLieve it or not, we are about the same size now bry. I was gonna buy a thruxton last wEek but I just couldNt ride it. A ryca sporty cafe could be Done for less than 5000 bucks... The orthopedist would cost you plenty...

#15 ·
Keep in mind you can get a real Triumph cafe racer for about 4400 bucks! No wrenches necessary.

#17 ·
Good on you for dropping the pounds. I've dropped about 15 over the past few months, and it really does feel better.

Anyhoo, part of the fun is with the tinkering and wrenching, so I don't want to buy a second bike just to have a second bike.

My other option, much cheaper but maybe not as much fun, is a suspension upgrade on the GS. What do you have on yours? Mine are still stock. And they've got 37K on them.

Of course, I could do both...but I still have that garage problem.

#21 ·
Next year, I am going to the owners rally and will come back with Wilbers ESA ordered. Over the winter, Ill take the shocks off for the rebuild. After that theres no going back. Once you put a weight custom suspension on, its your bike for life. Its a 2k investment on a lousy pair of shocks :)

#18 ·
Yep Jay. That one has been circled on my list. Its been out there for a while. He reposts it on CL every week for the past month or so. There are a few others in that range on Albany CL too.

#20 ·
Ahem... Because they are more beholden to the shareholders than bikers... If a mid life crisiser could buy a nice sized Harley for 10k... Why would he spend 18k? And you wonder why I dont like it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.