Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw on the news Harley is laying off 750 people due to sales and lost profits. Honda is moving their motorcycle production back to Japan. What do you all think of this? :shock:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Recession

·
Registered
920 Posts
HD will buy all robots used in motorcycle manufacturing from Honda after they moved back to the land of the Rising Sun , therefore will be no need for those 750 employees :wink:

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
Honda moving back to Japan will hurt the working man in Ohio worse that the 750 HD is laying off both suck though. I liked the Idea of the Gold Wings being built in Ohio I hope they reconsider.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
The fad is over; when economic cycles change, so do the economic choices. Its fashionable to save now, its cool not to have been leveraged and not be sweating an economic downturn.

I hate to see people lose their jobs but in my industry its been a bloodbath and I don't think we've seen the bottom. And if my industry hurts, everyone, worldwide, is going to hurt. WIth the dollar weak, I don't see why not make bikes over here but clearly Honda felt differently. Luckily, none of those folks are losing their jobs (Honda is moving them to other positions.

"Brand Scarcity" I hate lying corporate nabobs. "We're not going to sell as many bikes as before, so we have to tighten our belts." The credit taps have been shut off, people running around looking to finance a motorcycle are going to have a harder time doing so. They'd come after me with a big net if I tried to say something like "We want to make sure home buying stays cool, so we're not going top sell mortgages."

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
And the "New Indian" thinks they're gonna walk in and sell $35,000.00 bikes. :roll:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I give a damn because the wife works for a Japanese\American chipmaker here...

It's starting to look like she'll be forced into retirement.
At least I hope that's the option compared to just being canned like so many others...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This is just another economic cycle. I believe it going going to be a little
more severe than some in the past. Until something is done about the
the 25 year old pracitce of trading of commodeties and low intrest
rates nothing is going to change. We are now paying the price for
LBO's and Mega mergers and it is time to pay up. The bad thing is
the average American is footing the bill for the corporate and investor types greed.

The real winners in this are the Canadian travelers in Florida. Not only do
I need to speak spanish, now I need to learn french too!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
C90T Rider said:
Well, I just hope it'll shut-up the HD owners who keep bragging about "re-sale value". :D
At least we can afford ours AND bling for the "resale value " of thier bike

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just came accross the article "Honda ends US motorcycle production" in the Cycle Canada motorcycle magazine. The article states that the US Marysville plant's 450 workers will be reassigned to car and light truck production and will not be laid off. So if true, this will let the employee's sleep better, knowing that they will still have a job to go to. Honda further stated that the move was to "improve competitiveness" and to increase efficiency by moving all medium and large capacity motorcycle production to one facility at a new factory in Kumamoto Japan.

Henry

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
so now import fees will be tacked on to the price tag..........grrreeeaaattt.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
krgs2k said:
Huh??? I don't quite get the connection. Unless you are suggesting that because of the strength of the Canadian dollar vs. the U.S. dollar ther are more Canadian (particularly french-speaking) tourists in Florida. If that's iyour point, I can't say I envy you, living in an area that is overrun by "foreigners" 6 months of the year. (Espacially if they are grey haired old farts who can't drive!)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
canuckrider said:
krgs2k said:
Huh??? I don't quite get the connection. Unless you are suggesting that because of the strength of the Canadian dollar vs. the U.S. dollar ther are more Canadian (particularly french-speaking) tourists in Florida. If that's iyour point, I can't say I envy you, living in an area that is overrun by "foreigners" 6 months of the year. (Espacially if they are grey haired old farts who can't drive!)
You got it! I have had to use Google Translator for many instructions for
our French speaking visitors.

1 - 20 of 366 Posts