1,351 Posts
mudding

let see it hit the mud!

·
Administrator
57,126 Posts
Harley made dirt bikes in the 70s
Correct.
Harley Baja 100cc, (1969-1974) super little dirt bike, finished the Mint 400....most others didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Thats just stupid. 3up including a toddler? Imagine the bike falling over and the toddler underneath the bike. Bet the rider would have felt dumb... Very easy to drop that heavy bike on a boulder the front tire slip out. Really, stupid manuever to impress someone that you can cross this creek with my HD....

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Evel Knievel certainly didn't jump all those buses and fountains and such in a bagger. And he certainly had some adventure.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have taken my own across deeper water that that stream. Heck, at Sturgis this year we had more mud just getting out of the campground. If you wilderness fly fish, then that crossing was a piece of cake. Don't put your own limits on everyone else.

As for the kid and the PC comments, at those speeds and just down from your campground, go for it. That kid will grow up with a very healthy attitude about life.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
I guess I didnt see the big deal, he walked the bike across some gravel, at the start of the video you can see the proper line is to the right, in about 4 inches of water. You could take a Gold wing through at 50 mph. I might have slowed down to 40 to match wheel speeds...

Have you ever seen the bonehead enduro, I've watched guys take loaded panheads through real streams...

He had a kid sitting on the gas tank is all I could see. Thank god for Darwin

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
They have one of the Harley Military at Bill's Old Bike Barn. It looks like a 650 KLR in a way.

Most likely because the military uses the KLR right now... The only TOE military bikes right now are diesel KLRs...

Back in the day, we had a couple dozen Honda CR450fs.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Most likely because the military uses the KLR right now... The only TOE military bikes right now are diesel KLRs...

Back in the day, we had a couple dozen Honda CR450fs.

The Canadians, Brits and Jordanians use the Armstrong 350, which is what the bike in the video is. it is a Rotax motor bike, built offshore, Harley snatched them up in 1993?

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Diesel so they only have to deal with 1 type of fuel? If so it makes a lot of sense.

Also easy to care for in the field.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Also last about two or three times longer than gas engines.
Also can run on other fuel sources such as kerosene, lamp oil, fryer oil, even motor oil in a pinch with varying degrees of performance. (I ran every single fuel source mentioned in my Diesel Rabbit at one point or another...worked fine until one of the fuel injector return lines split and leaked on the exhaust causing it to catch fire somewhere around 300,000 miles....that bike really should have a fire extinguisher on it)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.