Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 C50, I just pick my bike up a week ago. I'm waiting on paperwork to get hard tags for her and have yet to really take her out for a good ride. I have been practicing riding in my Cul De Sac and around the block. No traffic concerns here. But I have a concern with my handle bars height. I’m a newbie rider 6’4 and my handle bar when fully turned left or right seem a little low for me and actually will hit my knees on either side if I don’t shift my legs out the way. Are there any type of handle bar raisers to give my bars a little more height so the bar don’t hit my knee if fully turned left or right? Or can the standard handle bars be rotated forward a bit to create clearance?

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Yes you can rotate the bars up a bit and you can also add risers. I believe you can up to 4" riser without have to change you cables. A lot of people try 2" spacers first. They go under you existing stock risers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great I was hoping it was something as basic as that. Now being that this is my first bike and I've never worked on a bike. What's the level of difficulty? Or is this type of adjustment best suited for my local bike shop?

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
No, this is an easy DYI job.

First and foremost, cover your tank with towels so if/when your handlebars drop they wont scratch the tank.

Brake, but do not completely loosen, the nut under each riser. Then pop the plastic chrome bolt covers off the OEM risers.
Loosen the allen head bolts, carefully lower your handlebars, then completely remove all 4 bolts.
Place the handlebars on the tank and finish removing the risers.

Then just install your new riser or spacers.

Remember to use loc-tight on the riser bolts.

Jim's Spacers

Suzuki Boulevard Volusia C90,C50 2" Handlebar Risers | eBay

I have these risers installed:
Amazon.com: Show Chrome Square Cast Handlebar Risers Chrome 55-135: Automotive

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I think I would like to try the simple approach and rotate the handle bars a bit first to see if this give me the clearance I need. Are there any how to guides with pictures on how to rotate the handle on a C50?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just pop 1 of the chrome caps off the top of each of your risers using a small screwdriver. You will see metric allen screws. Just loosen the screw on either riser. Hold on to the handlebars as you loosen the screw on the other riser. You should then be able to rotate the handlebars. Tighten the screws and put the caps back on. Done.

Reactions: MKLaney

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I just did this after someone on this forum told me how..Thanks:)

I am 6'5" and had same problem. I liked the way the bars felt and looked after I did as previous bud and maverickman just stated.
Tip these little chrome pieces are in there!! be careful. Also they are just decor and actually hold to the recessed hex socket head underneath.

·
Registered
330 Posts
G'luck Gmaxx.... I've got an 09 myself... also first bike.... also first time working on a bike. The forum is great. I've done tons of stuff to mine and it's all A LOT simpler than you would think. I'm leavin the engine to the pros though. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Desim,
When you rotated you handle bars did you have to re-adjust or reposition your clutch and trottle controls? Or did you just leave them as they where in the new position. I'm thinking that as the bars are rotated up the controls will rotate down a bit.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You won't have to adjust the throttle but you can just use a metric allen wrench to adjust your clutch and brake levers. Same as the handlebar adjustment. Just loosen the screw and turn the levers/mirrors to the position you want then tighten allen screws.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know this is old but started installing spacers tonight and my gawd those nuts are tight. I tried with a 3 ft breaker bar and still no luck. Guess I'll eat my wheaties in the morning and try again. Argh!!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mograbow, Jim custom makes them and it looks like OEM stuff when done. I got a set and it makes a big difference. My back use to hurt after a good long ride and it doesnt now. It is simple and easy to do just be sure to put a BIG THICK towel across you tank to keep from damaging it in case your bars hit it..

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am digging mine. (got from a forum member). I did replace the grade 2 bolts with grade 5 ones. I broke one of them tightening them up with my ******* biceps. The 3 inch risers made the world of difference.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
43 Posts
Adjusting Handlebars

Welcome! I am relatively new here myself (and to riding). I bought my 2009 C50 in May of 2011. About six months ago I adjusted the handlebars to tilt them up to an even 180 degrees (I didn't like how they tilt down). Nothing at all had to be adjusted with the cables. However, you most likely will want to loosen up your rear brake lever and clutch levers, and move them up slightly. As for the aluminum housing for the clutch (not sure the exact name( and the brake reservoir, they 'can' be tilted to match the rest of the parts, so they look normal, but this required unscrewing both parts, moving them slightly, and drilling new 'lock' holes in the bottom of the handlebar, which is what I did. You should be fairly technically inclined before I would do that though. I have a mechanical and electrical background, so far me, it was pretty easy. I will upload some pics when I can.

Just recently I added 2" chrome risers I bought on eBay. These are more complicated to install, and you will need a second person to hold the handlebars, once they are loosened, otherwise, you will bang up your bike when loosened. The process of adding the risers is a 'little' tricky, but do-able, Overall, I am VERY happy with the leveled out handlebars and 2" risers. You probably don't have to, but I did open up the headlight housing, cut the wiring to the forward controls, and solder in 8" extensions, so that the cables wouldn't be too tight. (Must be electrically inclined).

Next project for me is a BatWing....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everybody, I just want to say thanks as you just solved a problem I had. I trailered my 06 C50 from Texas to Colorado last week and bought a Highroller handlebar harness to hold the bike in place. The harness caused my handlebars to tilt down. I was trying to figure out how to tilt them up and didn't realize those chrome caps had allen bolts underneath. I followed Mav's directions and easily fixed the problem. In fact I adjusted them to a position that was even better than before. The chrome caps? Well they became casualties in the process - way too fragile to pop out and back in. Will probably be easier to just buy new ones (as someone mentioned, they are only cosmetic anyway). Thanks riders!

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Hey everybody, I just want to say thanks as you just solved a problem I had. I trailered my 06 C50 from Texas to Colorado last week and bought a Highroller handlebar harness to hold the bike in place. The harness caused my handlebars to tilt down. I was trying to figure out how to tilt them up and didn't realize those chrome caps had allen bolts underneath. I followed Mav's directions and easily fixed the problem. In fact I adjusted them to a position that was even better than before. The chrome caps? Well they became casualties in the process - way too fragile to pop out and back in. Will probably be easier to just buy new ones (as someone mentioned, they are only cosmetic anyway). Thanks riders!
I broke my little chrome caps when adjusting the bars and the dealer parts guy gave me some....must be cheap .
I put 4 inch risers on my '08 when I lowered it 2 inches and had to move the brake and throttle lines behind the bars to keep from replacing them with longer ones. Has worked for me just fine for 60K miles.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I too am 6'4". I was getting pains between my shulder blades in the past. I hope those pains are gone.
Just added 2" spacers from Jim. Have only rode around the (3 acre) yard. Feels much better.

·
Registered
193 Posts
great question..I'm in your boat now..lucky the previous owner added mini apes to mine before i bought it..been 6'5 really doesn't help when bike hunting lol..think I'm goin for 10-12 inch next and lean the forward a bit :)
see the post is kinda old..how's your bike holdin up? any new adjustments?
I have a 2009 C50, I just pick my bike up a week ago. I'm waiting on paperwork to get hard tags for her and have yet to really take her out for a good ride. I have been practicing riding in my Cul De Sac and around the block. No traffic concerns here. But I have a concern with my handle bars height. I’m a newbie rider 6’4 and my handle bar when fully turned left or right seem a little low for me and actually will hit my knees on either side if I don’t shift my legs out the way. Are there any type of handle bar raisers to give my bars a little more height so the bar don’t hit my knee if fully turned left or right? Or can the standard handle bars be rotated forward a bit to create clearance?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts