Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Newbie here. I just picked up a 2003 Volusia with very low mileage:biglaugh:. The PO had the bike fall over and slightly bent the bars. The left side is about 1/2 closer to the tank. I noticed this yesterday and now that I see it it is driving me crazy and I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to straighten their bars? If so how and what were your results?

I know replacements are available but I am also considering installing a set of straight (drag) bars. If anyone has the straight bars on an otherwise stock volusia how does it feel and how much does it change your riding position? If any member here has any personal experience on my issue I would greatly appreciate your comments.

I'm just trying to figure what may be the best action to take. I'm about 5'-11" with long arms and legs, I am looking to use this bike for transportation to the family's summer home about 150 miles away on the interstate.

By the way, great site and great members. I have been lurking here since last February and have learned a lot about my bike from everyone's experiences. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
25,177 Posts
If the bars are bent, I wouldn't try to straighten them. Take it is a sign from heaven that you need those drag bars. :biglaugh: My concern with trying to straighten them is that you might weaken them in the process.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, don't try to straighten them. Have you ever bent a paper clip back and forth until it broke. Similar idea. It can get bent once or twice, but keep doing it and its gonna fatigue and break.

jpcycles brand or santee or pretty cheap. Go for new bars, or look in the swap meet if you want stock bars. Someone's always parting some out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whiskey & GrapeApe,

Thanks for the comments! I will look for a replacement.
Anyone have drag bars on an otherwise stock volusia?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine were bent from a drop before I got her. I straightened them a lil bur not 100% I suggest new ones. I found new blacked out ones as low as 68$ online....
Even if you straighten'em they'll never be right

02 volusia, 33k miles, straight pipes w/full heat shields, all stock, white with 1/2 the chrome blacked..

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I disagree. The bars may not be bent, they may be crooked within the risers. What I have done is whatever side seems low, turn the bike full to the other side and have someone sit on the bike and someone else pull up on the handlebars until they feel straight. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ozrider,
Are those 32 or 34 inch bars? How much do you lean forward compared to stock? Where did you purchase the bars and risers? Your bike looks great! I'm trying for a similar look. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts