Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered these H4 LED bulbs to try out on my '13 M50 but neither one of them light up when installed. Ideas?

Will these just not work for the headlight?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The + and - configuration may be backwards for your LEDs. Where incandescent bulbs really don't care which way the current is flowing, LED are quite picky. When installing some extra lights on my bike I found that the led's didn't work. I reversed the wires and all was good.

Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a picture of the plug. The back of it pops open to get at the connectors but I cannot get them out. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Use a battery and do a quick test wiring to see if wiring it backward fixes the problem. You may just have a defective bulb.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have two of them, and neither one works. I can try it but I'd have to be pretty unlucky for both to be defective.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I apologize, I thought you had bought an H4 Hi/Lo beam headlight. I've looked at your link now.

Here is a link from the Custom Mods section of this forum.
http://www.volusiariders.com/47-custom-mods/311426-led-headlights.html

It's a long and meandering conversation with people talking about all kinds of approaches. What I think applies to you is that fog light bulbs may not be wired the same as a Hi/Lo Beam Headlight. The fog lights do work in lightbar applications. I think I remember one guy saying that he finally got a fog light to work in his headlight but it was just a bright light...not Hi/Lo. Look for that guy's post. It may save you some time and he may be able to give you some pointers on wiring your bulbs.

Ride Safe !

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice, thanks, I'll check through that thread and see if there is anything that can help.

I saw the Show Chrome one but didn't want to spend $60 on it. So I bought the one on eBay instead. I knew there was a chance that I would lose hi-beam, but I hardly (if ever) use it. But, now, it looks like I might just be better off getting the SC one anyway. Better to have and not need, rather than need and not have, in regards to the hi-beam function. I think I was initially apprehensive about the price just because $60 seems like a lot for a bulb... but it is LED and should last ages beyond a regular H4 bulb so I'm sure it is worth it. I'll probably get the SC one soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.