Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As they say, most good things happen unexpectedly, often preceded by something unpleasant. All started with some grinding noise in the area of the drive shaft of my 2008 C50. I had a three weeks vacation scheduled in PA with family, and my bike developed a "grinder" exactly one day before I had to leave. Local shop diagnoses: "issue is in the final drive assembly area, don't know what it is before we perform open heart surgery", charged me $120 and said the earliest they can dig into it was in four days time. Heartbroken, I parked my bike back at the garage, and left for vacation. Area of PA where I was staying, had some of the most amazing motorcycle roads, and it was one of the reasons why we were there. While checking for possible motorcycle rentals, I came across a bike listed for sale at a local motorcycle shop. Out of curiosity, my friend and I went to look at it, and it was love at first sight! Next day I test rode it, bought the bike, and was giggling like an idiot all the way back.

Meet Beatrice, my 2020 BMW R1250R!

Bike had 1,588 miles, not a spec of rust, tires were barely broken-in, still had factory grease in all the right places, came with two years factory BMW warranty and loaded to the brim with extras. Fully automatic electronic suspension, beautiful 6.5 TFT, top box, even BMW Motorrad navigation and all the electronic bells and whistles you could think of besides a radar. Price was also really good, especially surprising, when motorcycles are in short supply due to COVID related shortages. Apparently bike was on showroom floor for 2 days before I saw it online: must have been fate.

Comparing BMW R1250R to Suzuki C50 is not exactly fair, however both have a place. My 2008 Suzuki C50 - Big Berta, was, and is, a good companion that taught me how to ride properly, took me to wonderful places and allowed to meet wonderful people. Beatrice, on the other hand, is a fighter jet in disguise, which can also navigate slow traffic without being impatient, take me to extreme lean angles an stupid speeds if I wish to, and comfortably carry all my luggage on longer trips.

I will be dressing her up with side cases, radiator cover, auxiliary lights and a few other extras that make motorcycle riding even more fun.

Premium Member
As they say, most good things happen unexpectedly, often preceded by something unpleasant. All started with some grinding noise in the area of the drive shaft of my 2008 C50. I had a three weeks vacation scheduled in PA with family, and my bike developed a "grinder" exactly one day before I had to leave. Local shop diagnoses: "issue is in the final drive assembly area, don't know what it is before we perform open heart surgery", charged me $120 and said the earliest they can dig into it was in four days time. Heartbroken, I parked my bike back at the garage, and left for vacation. Area of PA where I was staying, had some of the most amazing motorcycle roads, and it was one of the reasons why we were there. While checking for possible motorcycle rentals, I came across a bike listed for sale at a local motorcycle shop. Out of curiosity, my friend and I went to look at it, and it was love at first sight! Next day I test rode it, bought the bike, and was giggling like an idiot all the way back.

View attachment 147796

Bike had 1,588 miles, not a spec of rust, tires were barely broken-in, still had factory grease in all the right places, came with two years factory BMW warranty and loaded to the brim with extras. Fully automatic electronic suspension, beautiful 6.5 TFT, top box, even BMW Motorrad navigation and all the electronic bells and whistles you could think of besides a radar. Price was also really good, especially surprising, when motorcycles are in short supply due to COVID related shortages. Apparently bike was on showroom floor for 2 days before I saw it online: must have been fate.

Comparing BMW R1250R to Suzuki C50 is not exactly fair, however both have a place. My 2008 Suzuki C50 - Big Berta, was, and is, a good companion that taught me how to ride properly, took me to wonderful places and allowed to meet wonderful people. Beatrice, on the other hand, is a fighter jet in disguise, which can also navigate slow traffic without being impatient, take me to extreme lean angles an stupid speeds if I wish to, and comfortably carry all my luggage on longer trips.

I will be dressing her up with side cases, radiator cover, auxiliary lights and a few other extras that make motorcycle riding even more fun.
Very nice!! Congrats.

Registered
Welcome to the other side of life. Your Beemer does come with some quirks of its own, including a specialized abs service and telelever suspension maintenance. BMW is an acronym for Bring Massive Wallet.

Reactions: FireManC50

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the other side of life. Your Beemer does come with some quirks of its own, including a specialized abs service and telelever suspension maintenance. BMW is an acronym for Bring Massive Wallet.
Thank you! This particular model doesn't have telelever, however I'm sure electronic suspension is not easy to work on. I guess it is the price we pay for stellar performance, and premium badge. It does ride like a dream, and did everything I wanted to do with it with ease and somewhat playfully.

Premium Member
Thank you! This particular model doesn't have telelever, however I'm sure electronic suspension is not easy to work on. I guess it is the price we pay for stellar performance, and premium badge. It does ride like a dream, and did everything I wanted to do with it with ease and somewhat playfully.
Thats what she said.:oops:

Registered
What a great way to salvage what would have been a big disappointment on the vacation!

Registered
Congratulations on the new ride. That's a huge leap forward in every conceivable way from the C50. Enjoy the new ride.

Reactions: FireManC50

Administrator
I have a few C50 drives out in the man cave from conversions to the DJ drive mod.

Be kind of bulky to ship, but they are here in Massachusetts, free if you need one.

Congratulations on the new ride..... It's a beauty.

Super Moderator
congrats and best of luck ith the new ride...never hear of any complaints from anyone going the BMW route...enjoy.

Administrator

View attachment 147796

I bought my 5th new and 8th BMW this weekend

You鈥檒l love it. I always have. Friday morning I鈥檓 taking my 2008 GS, with over 100,000 miles on the clock, to pick her up. Sad and happy at the same time.

Don鈥檛 listen to all the jazz from 鈥渆xperts鈥 on maintenance costs. My 13 year old GS had an average annual maintenance cost under $250 a year with a little sweat to do your own fluid changes. Tires and fluids my man. That鈥檚 it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jmbrad

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought my 5th new and 8th BMW this weekend

You鈥檒l love it. I always have. Friday morning I鈥檓 taking my 2008 GS, with over 100,000 miles on the clock, to pick her up. Sad and happy at the same time.

Don鈥檛 listen to all the jazz from 鈥渆xperts鈥 on maintenance costs. My 13 year old GS had an average annual maintenance cost under $250 a year with a little sweat to do your own fluid changes. Tires and fluids my man. That鈥檚 it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you and congrats on your new bike! I hope you are right about maintenance costs :) I do have to get maintenance done at BMW for the remainder of the warranty period, I think... I'm totally enjoying the bike, and want to keep riding and riding and riding. I already put 700+ miles in a handful of rides since I bought it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What a great way to salvage what would have been a big disappointment on the vacation!
Primary reason was to spend time with my daughter and family, however, getting a new bike was definitely a HUGE plus :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a few C50 drives out in the man cave from conversions to the DJ drive mod.

Be kind of bulky to ship, but they are here in Massachusetts, free if you need one.

Congratulations on the new ride..... It's a beauty.
Thank you for the offer! I might actually take you up on it, depending on what I discover when I take apart the final drive assembly, and inspect the damage,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts