Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a GPS for the bike this spring and I have one feature that I want and I don't know how to figure out which ones have it.

I'm a IT guy, so I'm pretty technical... For this use, I don't care about bluetooth or MP3 or audio playback. What I want is the ability to program a route on my computer (ideally using google maps) that I can transfer to the GPS. Then when riding, I would like to see the route on the map and have the GPS try to keep me on it. If I happen to wander off the route because I see something interesting, it should try to get me back on my planned route, not reset itself to the fastest way to the destination.

Does anyone have a device like that? Or know of one?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thats the same RAM Mount I use for my cellphone, BUT, I also have a Garmin StreetPilot that I use.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been using my cellphone for the last couple years and I have the holder for it. I'd just like to have something more dedicated.

·
Super Moderator
25,177 Posts
The closest thing I've found is the HD Ride Planner app on my cellphone. The only problem is that it doesn't handle things well when you get off route. You can also use MapQuest with a bunch of waypoints. I'd love to know a better solution myself.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a (free) program called Tyre that is almost exactly what I want to use online. It's kind of designed for motorcyclists, and lets you layout and share routes, and then send them to Garmin and TomTom devices.

Now I just need to be sure which devices are compatible.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Mounted my phone on the handlebar holder, it quickly overheated in the summer sun. Now I keep it in my pocket, have bluetooth in-ear headphones that tell me where to go (using google map app). I actually found it safer and more pleasant to ride without looking at the gps screen in front of me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts