Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
jefe, I have the predecessor GPSMAP 76C. I use the RAM mount and would recommend that over ANY other mount every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Trust me, look into it and if you get one, you'll love it. Fully adjustable view angle, no parts to rust, no problems with vibrations. Worth every penny!!!

Check it out HERE

·
Registered
238 Posts
GPS Mount

I use the standard plastic Garmin rail/bicycle mount on my Volusia and Intruder. Works just fine for $20 or so.

Dutch

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Re: GPS Mount

Dutch said:
I use the standard plastic Garmin rail/bicycle mount on my Volusia and Intruder. Works just fine for $20 or so.

Dutch
I did that in the beginning and the thing was shaking so badly that the GPS actually shut down LOL ...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
moenko said:
jefe, I have the predecessor GPSMAP 76C. I use the RAM mount and would recommend that over ANY other mount every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Trust me, look into it and if you get one, you'll love it. Fully adjustable view angle, no parts to rust, no problems with vibrations. Worth every penny!!!

Check it out HERE
moenko - that seems to be a really popular one, or at least it comes up the most in my searches. it doesn't look like the gps unit would stay in the mount that good though. Any problems with that?

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
moenko said:

Check it out HERE
moenko - that seems to be a really popular one, or at least it comes up the most in my searches. it doesn't look like the gps unit would stay in the mount that good though. Any problems with that?
ABSOLUTELY NOT jefe, that's why it's so popular, you have a large wing screw on the side and once you fastened that by hand in the position you like the GPS to be in, you can't wiggle or move it anymore. Just trust me on this one ;) The base ball mount makes it easy to adjust the view angle to any imaginable position. HIGHLY recommended !!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moenko said:
moenko said:

Check it out HERE
ABSOLUTELY NOT jefe, that's why it's so popular, you have a large wing screw on the side and once you fastened that by hand in the position you like the GPS to be in, you can't wiggle or move it anymore. Just trust me on this one ;) The base ball mount makes it easy to adjust the view angle to any imaginable position. HIGHLY recommended !!!
I think I will take your word on that one. I may buy one for my 4 wheeler and one for the Volusia. And I will likely buy one of the suction cup models for the truck too.

·
Registered
851 Posts
moenko said:
moenko said:

Check it out HERE
I can vouch for Carsten on the RAM. Plus it's designed for each particular unit and costs less than the one at J&P. There's a reason Garmin and Lowrance use RAM mounts. I'll use my Lowrance Airmap aviation GPS (in land mode) when riding sometimes. It came with an adjustable RAM mount for aircraft yokes that works just as well on handlebars. It's secure with no shaking and I've never even thought the GPS would come out in the airplane or on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
moenko smells funny but he knows his gps mounts! :lol:

he pointed me in the direction of the ram mounts and they are TOP NOTCH.

I'll snap a picture this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
HEYYYYYY!!!!! When you live in BAASTON everything smells funny :biglaugh:

Toe Knee said:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ppasel said:
moenko said:
moenko said:

Check it out HERE
I can vouch for Carsten on the RAM. Plus it's designed for each particular unit and costs less than the one at J&P. There's a reason Garmin and Lowrance use RAM mounts. I'll use my Lowrance Airmap aviation GPS (in land mode) when riding sometimes. It came with an adjustable RAM mount for aircraft yokes that works just as well on handlebars. It's secure with no shaking and I've never even thought the GPS would come out in the airplane or on the motorcycle.
I will probably order 2 or 3 mounts this weekend and go with the RAM. That one in J&P is pretty sweet though. HEY, i gotta an idea, I can get a can of that chrom spray paint and paint the mount :shock:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Toe Knee said:

he pointed me in the direction of the ram mounts and they are TOP NOTCH.

I'll snap a picture this weekend.
I would appreciate the pics, you can email them to [email protected] if it would make it easier for you.

Funny like "Ha Ha", or funny like...you know?

·
Registered
240 Posts
+1 on the Ram, I have one for my Nuvi 360 and I love it. The quick release for the unit itself is very handy and if I'm not using the GPS I can remove all but the clamp that attaches to the handlebars without tools.

Regards

·
Registered
238 Posts
jtr said:
Thanks jtr. That looks like a pretty nice one, a bit pricey for me though. It looks pretty sturdy though. Any problems keeping the gps in the mount?
I don't have the same gps model as you, but mine locks in solid with only one hand. And the power connects when you put it on the cradle. The point of this type of mount is that it has built in shock absorbers that protect the unit (especial if it has an internal HD). They are a little pricey, but compared to the cost of the gps you are trying to protect it's worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone used those little wet suits for their GPS? I saw a lot of them on ebay and was thinking that would be ok for strapping to my 4 wheeler and for use in the truck. Actually, in the truck it fits nicely in the drink holder and I can see it just fine.

jtr - I agree with your comments, I just need to decide exactly what I "need" and want.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
jtr - a GPS with internal hard drive??? :shock: Never heard of such thing but I would love to hear from you which unit does have a HD in it...

jefe, in the truck I use the Garmin non-skid friction mount and that works well (Part No: 010-10306-00)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Plenty of them do. Try googling "gps" and "hard drive"

That's where the maps and other info (including MP3s) are stored on models with large storage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts