Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was out of town all last week and the earliest I could get the new bike home was Saturday. Wouldn't you guess that this last week the California drought decides to let go and we had rain all week. Got up Saturday and there looked to be a window of opportunity so the wife and I drove the hour to the dealer to pick her up.

Made it about half way home and got dumped on - oh well, just gave me an opportunity to get her on the bike stand and start cleaning and polishing all the new (to me) chrome:wayhappy:

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about the bigger bike with all the extra power. But ... right out of the driveway it felt natural and after a few blocks it was onto the freeway headed home.

That's right - I hadn't test ridden the bike before pulling the trigger. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to test ride a lot of bikes, I did my research and sat on lots of 'em but I did not want to ruin my joy of driving the Bully by finding out what I was missing until I actually made the switch. Not going to debate the wisdom of that and I'm not recommending anyone else do it - it's what I did and it worked for me.

Fist impressions were that it handles about the same as the Bully - I did some tight turns in a parking lot and it was not top heavy at all. Gears were actually smoother than the Bully and highway - well.... nothing like hitting 65 in 4th, looking at the tach read 3000 rpm and realizing that you still have two more gears:wayhappy:

I didn't open her up on my maiden voyage - not stupid - but a slight twist on the throttle was equivalent to flooring it on the C50. And oh are those Rinehart pipes loud - my wife was following me and at times was stuck far back in the flow of traffic or went past me. At times she couldn't see me, but she heard me. Her comment when we go home was that she never really liked or understood the loud pipes - until then. Funny thing though was that from my perspective the bike is quieter, possibly because the tone is lower and the pipes exit about 12" farther back than the Cobra's on my C50. And again - not looking to start a debate, this is just my personal choice.

Hard to focus on work this week :biglaugh: bike is calling to me from the garage. Weather permitting I might get out on Friday.

Here are some pics -

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
So I was out of town all last week and the earliest I could get the new bike home was Saturday. Wouldn't you guess that this last week the California drought decides to let go and we had rain all week. Got up Saturday and there looked to be a window of opportunity so the wife and I drove the hour to the dealer to pick her up.

Made it about half way home and got dumped on - oh well, just gave me an opportunity to get her on the bike stand and start cleaning and polishing all the new (to me) chrome:wayhappy:

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about the bigger bike with all the extra power. But ... right out of the driveway it felt natural and after a few blocks it was onto the freeway headed home.

That's right - I hadn't test ridden the bike before pulling the trigger. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to test ride a lot of bikes, I did my research and sat on lots of 'em but I did not want to ruin my joy of driving the Bully by finding out what I was missing until I actually made the switch. Not going to debate the wisdom of that and I'm not recommending anyone else do it - it's what I did and it worked for me.

Fist impressions were that it handles about the same as the Bully - I did some tight turns in a parking lot and it was not top heavy at all. Gears were actually smoother than the Bully and highway - well.... nothing like hitting 65 in 4th, looking at the tach read 3000 rpm and realizing that you still have two more gears:wayhappy:

I didn't open her up on my maiden voyage - not stupid - but a slight twist on the throttle was equivalent to flooring it on the C50. And oh are those Rinehart pipes loud - my wife was following me and at times was stuck far back in the flow of traffic or went past me. At times she couldn't see me, but she heard me. Her comment when we go home was that she never really liked or understood the loud pipes - until then. Funny thing though was that from my perspective the bike is quieter, possibly because the tone is lower and the pipes exit about 12" farther back than the Cobra's on my C50. And again - not looking to start a debate, this is just my personal choice.

Hard to focus on work this week :biglaugh: bike is calling to me from the garage. Weather permitting I might get out on Friday.

Here are some pics -
I've bought two bikes now without test rides. When you know what you want, you just know. And if the seat, handlebar, controls, are not just right, you know you can tweak them to make them what you want. For me, just sitting on a bike and firing her up is enough to let me know if it's for me or not. That may sound crazy to some but it's worked for me so far - no buyer's remorse yet!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, looks great!
It may be raining, but with the full fairing you'll stay almost dry!
I bought mine late in the fall, and got two quick rides in before the Snow Gods opened up on us :crying:!
Enjoy, and ride safe.
Mac

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats, enjoy, hope it lasts as long as a Suzuki :)

Well I know I've entered a whole new world when it comes to maintenence. That was one of the things I liked most about my C50 - one fluid change covered it all. As I understand it, the new 96 motor has a self adjusting cam chain tensioner but I need to dig a little more on suggested maintenence. At least the dealer did the 20k service before I bought it so I'm in good shape for a bit on major stuff. Have a buddy with all the tools and a lot of knowledge that I can pull from plus several good shops.

Right now I just go out in the garage a stare at it (till it stops raining) and grin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've bought two bikes now without test rides. When you know what you want, you just know. And if the seat, handlebar, controls, are not just right, you know you can tweak them to make them what you want. For me, just sitting on a bike and firing her up is enough to let me know if it's for me or not. That may sound crazy to some but it's worked for me so far - no buyer's remorse yet!
Sweet Glide man! Love those bikes, enjoy it! I have been researching Dyna's. I am kind of feeling a club bike or outlaw bike.

I had to laugh, I'm normally a research and go buy kind of person. But when it comes to bikes, I am distracted by sexy haha. The day I bought my Boulevard I actually went to the shop to buy a VStar 1100.

I rode the VStar and loved it, then they sent me out on the Boulevard. The Suzook felt faster with the fuel injection, sounded louder and had a lighter handling feel. I took my wife for a ride on the Suzook and wanted to take it home. So I did :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts