Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I take for granted that I am a machinist. From time to time I'll have cnc lathe open on weekends and start making stuff I think I need. I have just about replaced every spacer on the bike with shiny new stainless ones,mirror adapters,new speedo neddle stop for custom faceplate,bushing for 1500 drive. I might be bitting off more than I can chew! But if anyone needs anything like that and I have some extra materials laying around,I would more than happy to make some goodies.
Not trying to make any money,just trying to help someone out if they need it.And drink plenty of beer in the process!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't thinking about Picts when I made them. I'll see what I can do when I get off work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a couple things. Spacers for sissy bar and luggage rack.
Spacers for fairing mount to replace the small alum. one wit stacked up washers to
3/4 OD one piece more ridged
S.S. of course.
IMG_20140122_173350_804.jpg

IMG_20140122_173656_523.jpg

·
Registered
795 Posts
That speedometer face looks really interesting got any info or better pictures of it? btw nice work on the parts you made.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That speedometer face looks really interesting got any info or better pictures of it? btw nice work on the parts you made.
There is a pict of it in my gallery. Gravestarr customs. He will put anything you want on there. Liked the skull and pistons enough to tattoo it on me shoulder.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Have you done much looking into the "DJ drive mod" ?

It involves mounting a VL1500/C90 or VS1400 drive onto VL800 or C50. Raises the gear ratio and lowers rpm.

The big stumbling block is the driveshaft. The ones that come with the donor drives is too long. The one that is on the bike's oem drive needs modification too.

There used to be a guy who could take the driveshaft from a donor drive (1500/C90), cut it, shorten it by 3/4 inch, and weld it back together using a DOM steel sleeve.

The alternative is to modify a VL800/C50 driveshaft. There is a guy in Sturgis that does that.

The donor drive shaft modification seems to be no longer available, can't get ahold of the guy that was doing it.

A machinest that could perform that service would be much appreciated around here.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I just saw in another post that you have a modified drive so you do know of what I speak.

Could you modify a C90 drive shaft, cut it, shorten it and sleeve it ?

In this pic you can see an original DJ drive shaft, shortened and sleeved.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw in another post that you have a modified drive so you do know of what I speak.

Could you modify a C90 drive shaft, cut it, shorten it and sleeve it ?
I definatly am no welder,but I know some good ones.
Guess I could try it out on the C90 shaft that came with my drive,I machined my stock shaft,seemed easier.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
It is easier. But many people want to leave their C50 drive shaft unmolested in case they ever sell the bike they can pull the modified drive and sell it separate.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've just spent a hour on eBay looking for fasteners for my back rack,
I want to be able to mount it , but only really need it on for longer trips,
It would mount through the rear fender by 4 bolts, the two close to the seat would need a 1/2" spacer Wanting something that I install once and hand screw 4 bolt into from the outside. Any ideas.
I believe you saw the rack.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
What a lot of us have done is reverse the fender bolts. Thread them in so that the heads of the bolts are in the fender well and threaded portion is sticking out of the fender struts. I removed material from the holes on my rack so that a 1/2 turn of a nut and I could just lift the rack off and retighten the nut.

When mounting anything to the struts you will probably need longer bolts.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What a lot of us have done is reverse the fender bolts. Thread them in so that the heads of the bolts are in the fender well and threaded portion is sticking out of the fender struts. I removed material from the holes on my rack so that a 1/2 turn of a nut and I could just lift the rack off and retighten the nut.

When mounting anything to the struts you will probably need longer bolts.
Thanks but Won't work did that for my hard bags. This rack is off a Harley springer
And fits right on the fender. Could get a solo rack. But this one is nice

1 - 20 of 30 Posts