Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost my job 3 months ago so I'm low on cash I needed to change the oil and filter ,engine coolant and final gear oil. So I call the bike shop he said $220.00 more or less and had to wait 3 weeks .I only had the money for the oil change so I pull out the bike manualand read the maint. for all the service that I needed I notice that I did not need a jack so I went to the Dealership and got all I needed to do the job my total was $58.98 It took me 3 1/2 hours because had to take the cobra highway bars out to take the oil filter out well I save $150.00. Never work on a motorcycle before feel good to save that money and not wait . Ride Save

·
Registered
785 Posts
Good for you!! Next time you change your oil filter, work the filter between the frame and the brake pedal. It WILL pass thru there and you don't have to move your cobra bars.

Ride safe
Tim

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Getting the hands dirty is good therapy!

You can become one with the machine!
...at least when you mix blood and oil by accident anyhow LOL

Keep wrenching away!
Sorry about the job :?

·
Registered
292 Posts
joserod said:
... It took me 3 1/2 hours because had to take the cobra highway bars out to take the oil filter out well I save $150.00. Never work on a motorcycle before feel good to save that money and not wait . Ride Save
Joserod, I was doing the same thing with the Cobra bars when I read on this forum that you can feed the filter it out to the right, next to the brake pedal.

I tried it on the last change - it works! :D :D

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Forgive me, but this begs the question: if you are unemployed and low on cash, why would you buy the supplies from a dealership? What did they charge you, $7 or $8 a quart for oil? All the materials you needed are easily purchased elsewhere, and probably would have cost $25-$30. I'm sorry you're out of work, and it's great that you learned to do some basic service, but you could have done it a lot less expensively.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Saving $150 always puts a smile on my face. At 3.5 hours of work that is like paying yourself about $43/hr. Not a bad hourly wage. Next time it will go faster so in essence you will have given yourself a raise. Also if you plan ahead and shop for the filter and oil you can save even more. I figure in about 3000 miles you could do it again for around $25 using dino or $35 using synthetic.

You done good! And it's a great feeling of accomplishment isn't it? We all enjoy an ego booster like that once in awhile.

So the more you ride the more often you can change the oil yourself so the more you save. :D

(Sorry to hear about loosing your job but glad to hear you took control of a part of your life by attempting your first maintanence)

Cheers!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got my hands dirty

About the oil filterI tried between the frame and the brake pedal and it didnt fit I tried everywhere for 1/2 hour no luck. About going to the dealership where can I go to get these materials at autozone I can get the oil but not the oil filter .I will Love to know where ! Thanks alot for your replys about the oil filter I will tried again in my next oil chang. Thanks and Ride Save.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I did the right thing and I got mine out too. Tho I did have it on a bike jack.

·
Administrator
56,039 Posts
Re: got my hands dirty

joserod said:
About the oil filterI tried between the frame and the brake pedal and it didnt fit I tried everywhere for 1/2 hour no luck. About going to the dealership where can I go to get these materials at autozone I can get the oil but not the oil filter .I will Love to know where ! Thanks alot for your replys about the oil filter I will tried again in my next oil chang. Thanks and Ride Save.
Please tell us that you did remove the old gasket from the filter mounting area. 8)

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can get some filters at your Auto Store; but not the OEM. Use the search engine to get a list of replacement filters that work in lieu of OEM. I buy my OEM on-line from Ron Ayers. I ride about 12,000 miles a year so I just order 4 filters, crush washers for oil and rear drive, etc all at one time so I also save shipping. Buy my Rotell T at Wally World. Think it costs me about $35-40 each time. Now you're ready to add the DJ drive and change your own tires. Next it'll be the valve job----who knows where it'll end.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Congrats! I know how rewarding it feels when you do something for the first time. It might seem easy to someone else, but it is very rewarding to the first timer!

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
funbikerchick said:
Congrats! I know how rewarding it feels when you do something for the first time. It might seem easy to someone else, but it is very rewarding to the first timer!

I CAN'T BELEIVE YOUR WASTING TIME POSTING WHEN YOU SHOULD BE TAKING PICTURES :p :lol: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
dr love said:
funbikerchick said:

I CAN'T BELEIVE YOUR WASTING TIME POSTING WHEN YOU SHOULD BE TAKING PICTURES :p :lol: :twisted:
LOL!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Easier to get intel outta Al-Queda prisoner than pic from her!

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah...... $58. to do it yourself....wft?

Using all Suzuki brand filter and oil I spend maybe $24. bucks at the dealer.

I think your getting ripped the F off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts