Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work had someone pull out in front of my off the feeder fishtailed a bit and now my back end feels slippery if that makes sense. I was driving to work today and it felt like my back tire was rolling out sideways when I was turning heading up to the highway and changing lanes riding over seems it seemed more like my backfire was rolling sideways over the road seams..

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
How old is your bike? How old are the tires? Was it wet out? What was the temperature? As rubber ages, it gets hard and brittle and will not adhere to the tarmac the way a new tire can.....

You can find the age of your tire by looking at the 4 digit date code stamped into the sidewall of the tire. The first two digits indicate the week of manufacture and the second two indicate the year. If the tire is more than 5 years old, you need to replace it. I'm sure you can guess why.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is your bike? How old are the tires? Was it wet out? What was the temperature? As rubber ages, it gets hard and brittle and will not adhere to the tarmac the way a new tire can.....

You can find the age of your tire by looking at the 4 digit date code stamped into the sidewall of the tire. The first two digits indicate the week of manufacture and the second two indicate the year. If the tire is more than 5 years old, you need to replace it. I'm sure you can guess why.....

Bike is an o6
Tires are new. Just got put on in November

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
I was just about to ask that same question... When was the last time you checked your air pressure?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was driving to work had someone pull out in front of my off the feeder fishtailed a bit and now my back end feels slippery if that makes sense. I was driving to work today and it felt like my back tire was rolling out sideways when I was turning heading up to the highway and changing lanes riding over seems it seemed more like my backfire was rolling sideways over the road seams..
Could they be flatspotted on one side of the tire?
You said you fishtailed. What side did you skid on?
If you were switching lanes and leaning on that side, you might feel a slight hopping.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Check the tire for flat spots and the spokes if your running them. C-50's are known for loose spokes problems that could cause the sensations your describing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got an m50 I'll check tire pressure when I get home. Is the psi model or tire specific?? And when I had the skid the back went out to the left but it corrected itself and skid to the left

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
The recommended air pressure is listed on the swingarm of the bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have kept quiet to see the outcome here, but I had a similar incident on my 1981 KZ550C (550 LTD). I know it is a different bike, but I feel the same thing. I was in the left lane on a 6-lane road (three lanes each way). Nobody was in front. A light changed from green to yellow to red insanely fast. I began slowing quickly and some idiot in a car cuts in front and slams on their brakes. I lock the rear tire and slide to my right, release, and go between the two cars, destroying my right mirror and a bystander's left mirror. I stop, he comes up, and the idiot that cut me off floors it.

Long story short, My bike feels... different since then. Almost like the tire is not aligned correctly. It does have the correct pressure. I check oil, gas, and tire pressure before each ride. There is no flat spot on the tire and I have ridden it for a year or so since with no issues, other than feeling like the bike is "crooked" or something. Maybe the rear axle slid on one side or something. Either way, I am in the same boat as the OP here.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Have you done ANY work to the rear axle before this happened?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have kept quiet to see the outcome here, but I had a similar incident on my 1981 KZ550C (550 LTD). I know it is a different bike, but I feel the same thing. I was in the left lane on a 6-lane road (three lanes each way). Nobody was in front. A light changed from green to yellow to red insanely fast. I began slowing quickly and some idiot in a car cuts in front and slams on their brakes. I lock the rear tire and slide to my right, release, and go between the two cars, destroying my right mirror and a bystander's left mirror. I stop, he comes up, and the idiot that cut me off floors it.

Long story short, My bike feels... different since then. Almost like the tire is not aligned correctly. It does have the correct pressure. I check oil, gas, and tire pressure before each ride. There is no flat spot on the tire and I have ridden it for a year or so since with no issues, other than feeling like the bike is "crooked" or something. Maybe the rear axle slid on one side or something. Either way, I am in the same boat as the OP here.
Did you ever take it to the shop? I was at the founders house for a club I'm with and he said one of the guys had something similar happen to him on his ride. Turned out he cracked a bearing

Either way I called our shop yesterday and when I get a chance I'll take it over there and jack it up and check the axle Air pressure wise my tires seem fine

·
Registered
219 Posts
I may do that. I mean the wheel is solid when on the center-stand and cannot be wobbled or wiggled in any way. Still, never heard of cracking a bearing just by locking the tire up. Guess anything can happen though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts