Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damm kids. Spent a week in Tucson with my kid and his latest toy is a GoPro camara and a DJI quadcopter. Really made some interesting videos with it and I may consider a GoPro as a future purchase.

I got some pretty good trips planned for this summer (Stillwater MN, LaCross WI and of course Sturgis). I'd like to mount the camara to the bike.

As I look at GoPro site I'm thinking white or silver (I don't think I need black).

Anybody got one ? Inputs/comments ?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could be interested in that t-man.

It's just hard to say what version of GoPro that is, and I am a REAL noob when it comes to this stuff.

This is what I know.....

Hero was released in 2010.

Hero2 2011

Hero3 2012

Hero3+ in Oct 2013.

The difference being in pixels, image sensor and frames per second. (and newer ones being slightly smaller and more compact)

All relating to quality of video.

I can get a HERO3+ Silver, latest addition for $229 shipped from Amazon.

Would just have to figure out which version yours is in order to figure out what it's worth.

Feel free to shoot me a pm with an idea of what you'd need for it factoring in shipping to US.

Unless I was gonna steal it from you, I'd probably go with the latest version with warranty.

As I read reviews, I see a surprising number of these that get returned. Don't know if it is a learning curve or what.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I borrowed a buddies to try out before buying this one. If it didn't take 250 minutes to upload to you-tube like I just spent the last hour trying, I'd have a vid to show you. I can tell you this though ................ you can see the gravel in the asphalt at 70mph!

Check out my front fender.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
The black has the wireless transmitter. Working in Combat Camera, We have used those extensively and that transmitter is a big shot. You can place your camera on a crazy place and use the transmitter to start and stop. I'm assuming the other two versions does not have the remote transmitter...? I'm wanting to buy a GoPro myself for my diving/snorkeling here in the Mediterranean. Underwater housings are rated 60ft. And if you get the those, get the one with the flat lens port, as it will give you better focus underwater.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The HERO3 black includes the wireless transmitter but it can be purchased separately for the others.

We shot a bunch of video this past week but his computer corrupted the flash drive that he had it stored on and he is struggling to recover them. The only one I got is a vid he posted on youtube when he first got the quadcopter.

This is taken from his driveway in Corona de Tucson.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
I have the Hero 2. I use it when I do downhill and mountain bike races. It is pretty cool to watch later and hear my running commentary of 'Oh shite!' etc......

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have had the Hero2 for a few years and this past Christmas I upgraded to the Hero3+ Black edition, and personally, if you can afford the Black edition, you may aswell.

I took mine to Hawaii and Jamaica with me, and they came really clutch.

Plus, whenever I ride here, I always have my GoPro mounted on my handle bars recording. Sometimes when riding you don't really notice somethings. But playback from these HD videos really show you what is out there.

That quadcopter thing is AWESOME! I started to look online for them and it is almost $1k! Gotta save up my pennies, but I'm getting it!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does that include a gimbal mount for the GoPro ? My kid says that mount is crucial, allows you to pan from the copter using the remote.

He says his next purchase is a pair of goggles with HUD that allows him to see what the camara sees as the copter flys. Frikken amazing !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got the Sony AS-10 instead of GoPro. Got it for a little over $90 and if you compare on youtube it has much better video then the mid range go-pros. It comes with a waterproof housing and can shoot at 170 degree wide angle. Not trying to say one is better for you then the other, but you might want to consider it as an option. Want to record some of my motorcycle adventures. Just trying to figure out if bike mount or helmet cam is way to go.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Got the Sony AS-10 instead of GoPro. Got it for a little over $90 and if you compare on youtube it has much better video then the mid range go-pros. It comes with a waterproof housing and can shoot at 170 degree wide angle. Not trying to say one is better for you then the other, but you might want to consider it as an option. Want to record some of my motorcycle adventures. Just trying to figure out if bike mount or helmet cam is way to go.
What's the depth resistance on that underwater housing? Do you have the ability to add a green/blue water filter like the GoPros underwater housing? That's the money there.
Am a firm believer that if you buy a camera, you buy a camera that will satisfy most of your needs. Once you find out what you can do with the camera, you'll always want more out of it, so spend the money well.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Sorry, but for me I fail to see or understand the thrill of the aerial shots. The fish eye of 170* make everything seem small and far away as it is. Aerial makes things even further away.

I found out by accident last year that the "Drift" has a zoom lens (who knew :oops:) that dramatically narrows the field of view.

Does Go Pro, Sony and the likes have the same feature?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Does that include a gimbal mount for the GoPro ? My kid says that mount is crucial, allows you to pan from the copter using the remote.

He says his next purchase is a pair of goggles with HUD that allows him to see what the camara sees as the copter flys. Frikken amazing !!
Yes, that $1k price is inclusive with the gimbal mount, otherwise it is not as useful!

·
Registered
50 Posts
What's the depth resistance on that underwater housing? Do you have the ability to add a green/blue water filter like the GoPros underwater housing? That's the money there.
Am a firm believer that if you buy a camera, you buy a camera that will satisfy most of your needs. Once you find out what you can do with the camera, you'll always want more out of it, so spend the money well.
Sorry about the lateness of my response, haven't seen this thread in awhile. So To answer your question about the underwater housing depth rating for the Sony. I foraged through the creepy weird instructions that came with the camera and it was no where to bo found, not anywhere on box either. However, according to Adorama camera store, their site says it's rated to 197 feet. Not bad. As far as the filters, I haven't seen any additional filters as of yet...

Sony SPK-AS1 Action Cam Waterproof Case SPKAS1

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got the silver 3 exactly 2 hours ago. also got the roll bar mount and a 64GB micro card. Looks pretty decent. Haven't tested it out yet on the bike but do have the mount all set up on the crash bar. what's cool is you can download the go pro app (android for me since i have a samsung note) and can preview what you are capturing on your phone (not while riding!). there is a few seconds delay - but i don't care. it's better than spending another $80 for the lcd display. ahhh..cool toys! all i need is money!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the Hero 3+ Silver a few months ago and have mounted it to various things. Here is a YouTube video I made a few weekends ago: it is mounted to the handlebars on a '94 Honda Magna ridden by my brother.

**Video**

Even if you change the YouTube setting to 720p, it is still nowhere near as clear as it is when I run the video from my laptop and plug it into the 52" TV via an HDMI cable. Just really beautiful and I'm totally happy with it. It's really great to watch your rides on a bad weather day and re-experience them.

I went with the "3+" with its wireless feature so I could use an iPad or smartphone to link to the device wirelessly to not only control it, but just to see what it is seeing and line it up the way I want... no viewer on the stupid camera!

Also, I got a little USB adapter so I could run my microphone back towards the pipes or engine to get that sound (instead of wind noise) but haven't hooked it up yet.

Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts