Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to Motorcycles but am eager to learn, I am looking at a 03 Volusia 40th anniversary edition. I love the look of the bike, It only has 917 miles on it. it is being sold from a dealer in CT. they are asking $4200 for the bike which seems like a good deal.......but i never like to pay sticker price for anything :wink: . It does not have a windshield or bags.

whats the lowest price you think i can get it for?

Im 6ft tall and weigh 205 Is this a good beginner bike, is there another bike that you would recommend?

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
$4200 for any motorcycle in really good condition with low mileage is a good buy. You could always say "I'll buy it right now for $3800" and see what happens (of course, honor your committment if they say yes). Worse case: you have to pay $4200 for it, chances are you'll get somewhere betweeen that.

Its a great 1st bike for someone of your stature.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my advice, take a look at craigslist.com in your area. I bought an 03 volusia green and silver for 4000 from a guy around here. The bike had 1055 miles only and it has windshield, floorboards, bags and backrest.

You might find some good deal on it. Plus, you can always question that if the bike has only 917 miles on it, battery might be a little dead and you might have dry lines or tires...

·
Administrator
16,394 Posts
It's a great first bike. the price seems a little high, but the milage is low.

I would say it all depends on what your looking for in a bike. If your going to want to add a windshield, bags, passanger backrest and such, your better off holding out and looking for a C50T.

I know up here there is one for sale for just around $5500 or so for a 2006 and it's loaded with all the goodies.

After market accesories can easily add up to $1000 or $1500 just for the windshield, bags, backrest, and passanger boards. Just something to think about.

2005+ are all fuel injected instead of carbed also.

~Jay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you recommend Fuel injected as opposed to carbed?
Pro's/Con's to either one?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Misunderstood said:
maximumterror said:
Carbed have a nicer lope to the motor, sound. Fi is care free pretty much. Most prfer Fi.
I prefer my 04 Carb'ed ! :) don't mind playing with the choke and much easier to fix.. and the Carb'ed holds more GASOLINE! !! and a few other things... and a cooler name :) :)

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
aVOL2 said:
Misunderstood said:
maximumterror said:
Carbed have a nicer lope to the motor, sound. Fi is care free pretty much. Most prfer Fi.
I prefer my 04 Carb'ed ! :) don't mind playing with the choke and much easier to fix.. and the Carb'ed holds more GASOLINE! !! and a few other things... and a cooler name :) :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
aVOL2 said:
Misunderstood said:
maximumterror said:
I said most not all. :wink: Mine is carbed also. 8)

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
I prefer natural aspiration because its easy to work with if necessary.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
After my 1979 GS550 I swore I would never get a carbed bike newer than 1976 becuse of the emmissions requirements making them too cold-blooded. My C50 will start and drive away in an instant and no fiddling with a choke either. Sure, carbs might be easier to fiddle with if that's what you're into, but fuel injection is by far superior (and Suzuki has developed the best fuel injection)

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
CycleBiker said:
After my 1979 GS550 I swore I would never get a carbed bike newer than 1976 becuse of the emmissions requirements making them too cold-blooded. My C50 will start and drive away in an instant and no fiddling with a choke either. Sure, carbs might be easier to fiddle with if that's what you're into, but fuel injection is by far superior (and Suzuki has developed the best fuel injection)
Good point, which is why the second thing you should do is uncork that puppy! First thing, MSF!

Enjoy the RIde

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI - I just bought a 03 anniversary last weekend for $3800 with a WS and Vance & Hines Straightshots. It has 3100 miles on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
size of bike

If your 6' tall and 205, you would be better off with a C90 or 1100cc bike. The 800cc are smaller. $4200 is a good deal for this time of year. Under $4000 in Fall/winter. Go with FUEL INJECTION! Unless your a wrench monkey. Also, get a bike with all the accessories you want. They are very expensive to purchase separately.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
I'm 6'2'. 220, and my first bike was a 2002 Vol that I bought used with 1000 miles on it for $4500 in 2004. Came with bags and passenger backrest. Just another datapoint for you.

Like Mr. E. said, rejetting the carb minimizes the cold morning waits. I can pretty much get on and go now. I did this morning when it was 35 up here.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ouch man, watch the pointy end of your opinion there! I'm 250 and 6'2", my friend at work is almost exactly the same size and we both ride Vol's. The Volusia/C50 is plenty big for about any size rider. Neither of us are 'newbies' either.. I've ridden or owned a hell of a lot of bikes over 25+ years of riding, and my buddy races dirt bikes etc.

As for the wrench monkey thing, well I gotta differ on that one too. Unless you're talking about having to pull out a choke knob to start it, the carb model doesn't require any more mechanical skills to operate or maintain than the fuel injected model. Between me and my 2 friends I ride with that bought Volusia's, not one of us has has a mechanical problem harder to fix than changing a blown lightbulb. if you can find a way to blame that on the carburator, I'm going to need to see it written down. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its a done deal, i haggled em down to 3800. Ill be picking it up this weekend. I should stress that the area i live in is an extremely expensive area of the country. an average 3 bedroom nothing fancy house is 600k so unfortunately everything else is generally a bit higher. I feel as though it was a good deal, and i guess that it was truly matters. Thanks again everyone for all your input. Trust me it wont be the last you hear from me.......I have LOTS of questions :p Weekend cant come fast enough !!!! :D

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
3800 is a good buy for one of those, anywhere. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
278 Posts
03 volusia

i have a 03 vol i bought it with 10000 miles on her now has 17000 no problems at all the 800 is plenty fast enough i love it i keep up with my brothers harleys no problem if you buy it you wont regret it ;ride safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its in the garage!!!!!! picked it up today had a friend who is an experienced rider bring it home for me. I have my second basic rider class tomorrow all practical skills in a closed course. Helmet should be delivered on Tuesday :) so if you need me ill be sitting on it in the garage till then :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts