Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, I got the drive installed.
The biggest headache was stabbing the driveshaft into the U-joint.
I worked on it for over 2 hours, and was just about to throw a match in the gas tank.

My wife sat down, and got it in about 5 minutes!!!
I love this woman.

I took a bunch of pics as I went, and I don't think I can add much that isn't already in the stickies.
I suppose I could post them here, or maybe I'll just post them in the stickies for extra verification of the process?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I did the same thing. Finally I cut a piece of PVC pipe and turned the U-Joint so it would stay straight. Same as you, about 2 hours of total frustration till I figured it out.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
I’m sure you will love the change it makes... There will be some necessary adjustments to make to your riding routine and expectations in some areas though... just minor ones...

You won’t be able to start out in second gear at a stoplight as easily if you forget to shift all the way to first.....:surprise:

And a slight bit of feathering the clutch to get going from a stop.

But after the first week you shouldn’t even remember the difference in the “heat of the moment”!!
Another adjustment will be the lack of power when climbing hills at altitude. After I went with the DJ drive, I had to keep the bike in 4th gear when climbing over the blue ridge mountains. I would expect the same in the high desert as well.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Another adjustment will be the lack of power when climbing hills at altitude. After I went with the DJ drive, I had to keep the bike in 4th gear when climbing over the blue ridge mountains. I would expect the same in the high desert as well.
Grabbing a gear is the mostest absolutliest leastest hardship I have in my life!:grin2:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How do you like it ?
I still need to finish up, by putting the bags back on, and adjusting the rear brake switch.
I noticed it wasn't coming on near soon enough.
My current dilemma is this:
Which to do first, take the bully for a test ride with the new drive, or the Vic for a cruise with the new seat???

Life is hard.

Will report on the Bully soon.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My current dilemma is this:
Which to do first, take the bully for a test ride with the new drive, or the Vic for a cruise with the new seat???
WOW! Tough choices. You have my sympathies....NOT!

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This is hands down, the very best thing you can do for this bike.
Before you mess with intake, exhaust, and fuel gizmos, this is what you want first.

I don't like to rap out my engines, neither do I lug them.

This is what I found going into reasonable upper RPM ranges

1st gear Takes just a little more RPM to get rolling. Killed it the first time, didn't happen the rest of the day.
You definitely get way further through the gears.
I found I wasn't going for 5th until about 60+. Going for fifth anywhere close to 55 feels like serious lugging.
Cruised about 250 miles today, highway, @75.
The bike was quite comfortable, much nicer than before, and at 75, there was a whole elephant full of throttle left.

I pulled a 12 mile 5-7% grade, and only felt the need to drop a gear for about a mile of it, but still held 65 and didn't feel bad.

If you have the money, and the time, there should be no question in your mind that you're going to do this, it's just a matter of when.

·
Registered
782 Posts
A few years ago when I did the drive swap on the wife's C-50 I liked it so much I went out and got the rest of the C-90 for myself.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
The biggest headache was stabbing the driveshaft into the U-joint.
I worked on it for over 2 hours, and was just about to throw a match in the gas tank.
I did a drive this weekend. Went right in first shot. That doesn't happen often, maybe 25% of the time. Most of the time I can get it in maybe 3-4 tries.

5% of the time I'm looking for that book of matches.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I did a drive this weekend. Went right in first shot. That doesn't happen often, maybe 25% of the time. Most of the time I can get it in maybe 3-4 tries.

5% of the time I'm looking for that book of matches.

Nice!
As I think back about it, it might have been that it was in neutral.
I think before I let my wife have at it, I put it in gear.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
I always do it in neutral, I also stick a broom handle down and line it up first before I stick it.

·
Super Moderator
56,258 Posts
This is starting to sound kinky.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread to see if it should be moved to thd playground.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts
Stuck it dry, had to push a little to get it in, but once it was in it was fine.

Great fit.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts