Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in June I bought a 97 GL1500SE. This sucker is loaded! Sold Volusia to nephew and used that money to buy the Wing. I found it at a screaming good price. $700 less than what I got for the Skunk, plus I gained a ride buddy.

It had 79,000 miles and ran-rode like a dream. New E3’s, new 90 amp alternator and forks rebuilt a year before. I replaced timing belts as a precaution.

The SE is the top model Wing. CB, AM/FM, cruise, air suspension, big windshield, big bags and trunk, trailer hitch rated to tow 1000#, foot heaters, adjustable passenger boards, knob to adjust headlights while riding and more. Set cruise at 80, sit back, listen to Skynard and drink Dew from cup holder in extreme comfort.

wife and I went on a poker run with friends. It was a couples day. On return trip home we got caught in a torrential down pour with 35mph variable winds. Since I was elected to ride on point I chose to stop at gas station in small town for a break. Other guys/gals were soaked. Wife and I were bone dry.

Brother near Kenosha found out and bought himself an 89 base model. Late July all 4 of us rented a cabin in the woods of northern Wisconsin for a week. We put on about 200 miles a day riding all over. We even took a ferry and rode our bikes on Madeline Island in Lake Superior.

Nephew who bought Skunk quickly out grew it. After riding my wing a few times he went and bought a 14 Valkyrie. Then my wife wanted to learn to ride. Nephew loaned her the Skunk. She is scared of ruining his bike and it shows in her performance.

Fast forward to today. I found another 2001 Volusia for dirt cheap. It has an engine noise, I’m familiar with these engines since I rebuilt the one in Skunk 2 years ago. I bought it without her knowing. My plan is to stash it at a friend’s garage and giver her the key and title for Christmas. Something she can ride like she stole it and not worry.

that’s my summer in a nutshell.

I suppose a pic of my Wing and one of my bride on the Skunk would be good

Water Tire Wheel Sky Cloud
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
22,905 Posts
Best of luck on the new ride. Your wife will certainly be surprised.

·
Super Moderator
24,381 Posts
sounds like it turned out well and glad to see you haven't left us. Hope she enjoys the gift...wouldn't hurt for her to take the course.

·
Super Moderator
4,762 Posts
Congrats and I'm digging the Wing & the Skunk.. Nice Rigs.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Those GWs are great and comfy at going straight for hours on end.

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
I found another 2001 Volusia for dirt cheap. It has an engine noise, I’m familiar with these engines since I rebuilt the one in Skunk 2 years ago. I bought it without her knowing. My plan is to stash it at a friend’s garage and giver her the key and title for Christmas. Something she can ride like she stole it and not worry.
THAT is one awesomely cool Christmas present idea! Two thumbs WAY up!! (y)(y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Back in June I bought a 97 GL1500SE. This sucker is loaded! Sold Volusia to nephew and used that money to buy the Wing. I found it at a screaming good price. $700 less than what I got for the Skunk, plus I gained a ride buddy.

It had 79,000 miles and ran-rode like a dream. New E3’s, new 90 amp alternator and forks rebuilt a year before. I replaced timing belts as a precaution.

The SE is the top model Wing. CB, AM/FM, cruise, air suspension, big windshield, big bags and trunk, trailer hitch rated to tow 1000#, foot heaters, adjustable passenger boards, knob to adjust headlights while riding and more. Set cruise at 80, sit back, listen to Skynard and drink Dew from cup holder in extreme comfort.

wife and I went on a poker run with friends. It was a couples day. On return trip home we got caught in a torrential down pour with 35mph variable winds. Since I was elected to ride on point I chose to stop at gas station in small town for a break. Other guys/gals were soaked. Wife and I were bone dry.

Brother near Kenosha found out and bought himself an 89 base model. Late July all 4 of us rented a cabin in the woods of northern Wisconsin for a week. We put on about 200 miles a day riding all over. We even took a ferry and rode our bikes on Madeline Island in Lake Superior.

Nephew who bought Skunk quickly out grew it. After riding my wing a few times he went and bought a 14 Valkyrie. Then my wife wanted to learn to ride. Nephew loaned her the Skunk. She is scared of ruining his bike and it shows in her performance.

Fast forward to today. I found another 2001 Volusia for dirt cheap. It has an engine noise, I’m familiar with these engines since I rebuilt the one in Skunk 2 years ago. I bought it without her knowing. My plan is to stash it at a friend’s garage and giver her the key and title for Christmas. Something she can ride like she stole it and not worry.

that’s my summer in a nutshell.

I suppose a pic of my Wing and one of my bride on the Skunk would be good

View attachment 148516 View attachment 148517
Congrats on the Wing. I had a 08' GW a while back and it spoiled me for 2 wheel riding.
The older Wings like yours have more space for both rider & his junk. I'm Jealous again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the Wing. I had a 08' GW a while back and it spoiled me for 2 wheel riding.
The older Wings like yours have more space for both rider & his junk. I'm Jealous again.
Thanks for the compliment. I try to be as humble as possible. With all the features, amenities and comfort it’s not easy. I was talking to a guy with a new Indian tour bike and we traded for a dozen miles on a ride. His words “ aside from touch screen navigation and satellite radio your bike is much better”. I spent about $30K less.

Seeing the troubles guys have with previous and later generations makes me very glad I bought a Gen 4. This is my forever bike. When I get too old and feeble to hold it up I will trike it or stick to cages

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I try to be as humble as possible. With all the features, amenities and comfort it’s not easy. I was talking to a guy with a new Indian tour bike and we traded for a dozen miles on a ride. His words “ aside from touch screen navigation and satellite radio your bike is much better”. I spent about $30K less.

Seeing the troubles guys have with previous and later generations makes me very glad I bought a Gen 4. This is my forever bike. When I get too old and feeble to hold it up I will trike it or stick to cages
Yep, the Indian tour bike is a v-twin and your goldwing is a 6 cylinder.....goldwing going to be smoother, more powerful, and may not be that much heavier...

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Water Carnivore Terrestrial animal Tail Dog breed
Ever ride a skunk like this ? :ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts