Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy some stainless braided line cover to do my clutch and throttle cables (brake line already is braided). After I run the covers on the lines...I am going to put PVC clear heatshrink over them. This will provided the same look as the brake line ( hope!) and keep the cover tight on the lines. I emailed http://www.buyheatshrink.com and they said my idea was spot on...they suggested PVC because it will not fade or color in the sun, and it is crystal clear. So..if this works...here is a big money saver!!! I found the stainless braided line at http://www.cableorganizer.com/stainless-steel-braid

At the termination points at the throttle side...I will put a small section of black heat shrink to make it look purty. I will use the rubber boot on the clutch side.

I am only running the braid from the grips to under the tripple tree, I feel going all the way to the case and carbs is a waste.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Be a great covering for miscellaneous wiring from various add-ons like lightbars and relocated tail lights also...

I think I have some extra ground strap stuffed away somewhere's...

Good idea!

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
getting ready to put the SS covers on myself, so I'm looking forward to see how this works!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually seen that the cableorganizer.com site sells the clear PVC heat shrink by the foot...buy it all in one place!

·
Registered
534 Posts
That aught to be sweet! Please post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stainless sleeve and pvc heat shrink will be here today...I will take pics and post when it is complete...hopefully with success!! May not get to it until next week...keep yor eyes open for this thread again when it surfaces at the top!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I did that a few years ago with less than ideal results. The heatshrink turned more dingy & yellowish than the nice clear coat on the braided lines for the brake fluid. But maybe you'll have better luck (better heat shrink).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vol210 said:
I did that a few years ago with less than ideal results. The heatshrink turned more dingy & yellowish than the nice clear coat on the braided lines for the brake fluid. But maybe you'll have better luck (better heat shrink).
Did you use heat shrink made from PVC? I called the people at the heat shrink "store" and they said anything other than PVC will turn on you in the sun. Plus, PVC is the only "crystal" clear type. Standard heat shrink is polyolefin, and is not UV resistant nor crystal clear. Did you use a heat gun to shrink...or an open flame (lighter, torch)? That method will discolor the tube also. It will be a experiment for sure!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I'm sure it was polyolefin. Heat gun, I'm sure as hell not gonna use open flame on heat shrink :D Yours should work out good.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the stainless and the heat shrink today...will try to get to it sometime before May 11th (leaving for Myrtle bike week).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the stainless on the clutch cable...no heat shrink yet...looks and installed great. I have to order the next size up for the throttle side because of the diameter of the ring that the keep presses up against (at the switch housing) is too large. I tried going from the carb side...it was too large here too. So...for the clutch side I used 1/4" ID (fits 3/16"-5/16") for the throttle side I am going to use 3/8" (fits 5/16"-7/16"). I will post pics soon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just make sure the SPF rating on the tubing is for tropical regions.
(kidding)
I do think it'll yellow though.
You might be able to slow it down a lot with a silicone spray like WD-40 after you begin to notice the pvc getting cloudy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got it all done...was easy to do and turned out great. All-in-all I spent less than $30 to cover the cables (clutch, throttles) I will try to post pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here they are:

[/img]

Everything worked perfect...three cables covered less than $30

The stainless braided cover and PVC heat shrink were both purchased from McMaster Carr industrial supply. Had to buy two sizes of braided cover because of the round "keeper" on the throttle cabels (at the housing) the smaller size wouldn't expand enough to get over this part.

*(brake line is galfer)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts