Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about taking the bike in and having them service the bike but I don't know what to tell them to do. The bike is a 05 m50 it had 26,000 on it when I got it and I think it's somewhere around 28 or 29 now. I've had it for 3 to 4 years and other than oil changes I haven't done much to it. What should I get them to check and/or do? The bike seems a little sluggish when I twist the handle back fast. It will stay the same speed for a little bit then it starts to speed up fast.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm in sort of the same boat. I have a laundry list of stuff to get done on mine just because I don't know what the previous owner has done to it. Mine is a c50 and I'm not sure how different the m50s are but here's the list of maintenance I plan to do for my c50 this season:

Basic oil change, drive oil change, fork oil change, coolant drain and fill, valve adjustment, cables lubricated, new tires, new air filter, check to see if the drive splines need lubricated and new plugs. I feel like I might be missing a couple of smaller things I had planned but that's the run of it. Hopefully that helps. The majority of it can be done at home for wayyyyy cheaper than a shop can do it for so consider that. Like I'll change my own oils and coolant, etc. As far as the valve adjustment goes, my shop wants $160 to do it. To me, that's worth saving the headache of digging into myself and having the peace of mind that it's done correctly. But that's me. Let me know if you have any questions, glad to help. Ride safe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
do you have record of the last valve adjustment?
Suzuki suggests inspection every 7k miles.
When i adjusted mine around 10k i found it was much better.

also, you might need a clean air filter too.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Yeah I concur Change all fluids at this point! General lubrication.. ABSOLUTELY 100% Pull the driveshaft and lube it- Make sure they use Moly 60 paste- Best still take some and tell them to use it.
Check Brake pads and rubber parts of brake hoses for any cracks or deterioration. Check over the bike and check all fasteners for tightness (do this yerself) Start running some seafoam in a few tanks of gas also to clear out the fuel system- your injectors may be a bit fouled.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll start on the fluids soon hopefully it will warm up a little. I'll have to call and see about the valve adjustment. Do you guys recommend the suzuki shop or can a local motorcycle shop handle this time of service?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll start on the fluids soon hopefully it will warm up a little. I'll have to call and see about the valve adjustment. Do you guys recommend the suzuki shop or can a local motorcycle shop handle this time of service?

Any shop should have no problem with it at all. My local repair shop has been around for a while. They work on all types of bikes, atvs, etc. They want $160. I HEAR the stealership wants in the neighborhood of $400-500 for that job. Don't pay more than $200 for the valve adjustment. Just don't.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Just tell the shop what you know about the bike's condition. And discuss with them what they think your bike needs and how much the various options would cost you. Then you get to make your decisions based on benefit vrs cost. With some Luck you get what you pay for. Changing brake fluid is one of the easiest thing you can do on your bike. But on the other hand when they do a brake fluid flush they may have the advantage of having seen 1000s of bikes and able to spot something needing a little extra attention. Many Motorcycle mechanics often do needed little adjustments without any significant extra charge involved.:wayhappy:

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you do not want to take the shaft apart, I suggest you to have them check the final gear splines and its lube status. They may end up charging a lil' more for that special inspection, but if that saves you a bad moment and having the bike sitting while waiting for parts, it's worth the $$ IMHO...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts