Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Gonna have to talk to another attorney. This guy is giving me shady vibes. Gonna have to fact check him. Hopefully he's wrong. Otherwise, I will have given up everything I ever had just to abandon him to the care of strangers.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Gonna have to talk to another attorney. This guy is giving me shady vibes. Gonna have to fact check him. Hopefully he's wrong. Otherwise, I will have given up everything I ever had just to abandon him to the care of strangers.
Definitely, talk to a lawyer. Don't trust what you read on the internet, or in forums. I did my research and I'll be taking care of my Dad at home as long as I'm able. In NC if he had deeded me all the property 7 or more years ago, they medicaid couldn't take the house.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Talked to a lawyer today. Apparently, when you do a conservator/guardianship, at least here, you need a bond to cover if you steal all the money and run off. The catch is you need good credit. I have no credit score. I live within my means and pay cash. Given that, the lawyer said "it'll be a stretch" to get me appointed. So, apparently, being financially responsible means I'm not financially responsible. Also, he said that I wouldn't be able to stay in the house and that we would have to sell it. So, if I do the right thing for my father, I am homeless. Given that I'm in the will, if I wanted all his stuff, I could just let him die. Of course, if I did that, I would probably kill myself before probate was over. FML.
Credit scores are one of the biggest scams in the finance industry. My brother and his wife ran into this when trying to buy their first home. No credit history because they lived the same way you do. The got a credit card and used it for small stuff for 6 months and it solved the problem. Bought their house and then canceled the credit card. Best wishes and prayers to you during this difficult time.

Reactions: Lihpster
21 - 24 of 24 Posts