Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install 2" diameter glasspacks inside a 3" exhaust pipe on the VOL? I've been checking the Valkyrie websites and they seem to really like the sound when used with 4" exhaust. If a threaded nipple is used, you can vary the length of the glasspack within minutes until you get the perfect sound.

Here a link to see what I'm trying to explain

http://www.f6rider.com/Lamont/new_mod/home.htm

They look pretty sweet too.

Jackleg

·
Registered
983 Posts
I actually thought of that and have 2 glasspacs, been
in my garage for ten years, maybe I,ll put them on
just to see what they sound like and then work it out .
Did they take the inside out to use it ?

Titan

·
Registered
273 Posts
I remember seeing where someone had debaffled a stock exhaust and then found a set of glasspacks that fit snugly inside the pipes. If I remember correctly they put a set screw in the pipes to hold the glass packs in place. I'm don't remember what kind of bike it was on. I'll look around on some of the other boards and see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Titan said:
I actually thought of that and have 2 glasspacs, been
in my garage for ten years, maybe I,ll put them on
just to see what they sound like and then work it out .
Did they take the inside out to use it ?

Titan
They use the exhaust stacks from 18 wheelers. First they cut the stock exhaust, then weld the glasspack on the stub of the stock exhaust. The 4" truck stack slips over and is a good fit on the stub of the valkyrie OEM exhaust.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
I just recently shortened a set of stock mufflers and took out the entire outer baffle/sound material. The inside diameter is 3 1/2". I have an old glass pack also and it is 3 1/2". It slides right down in. The only problem might be finding a short enough glass pack (I shortened these down to 14" at the bottom of the slash-I've heard of 12' ones though) and getting the inlet hole to line up as it is off center on the end of the muffler. I'm going to keep playing and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duffy said:
I just recently shortened a set of stock mufflers and took out the entire outer baffle/sound material. The inside diameter is 3 1/2". I have an old glass pack also and it is 3 1/2". It slides right down in. The only problem might be finding a short enough glass pack (I shortened these down to 14" at the bottom of the slash-I've heard of 12' ones though) and getting the inlet hole to line up as it is off center on the end of the muffler. I'm going to keep playing and see how it sounds.
You got any pics of those sawed off pipes? The valkyrie owner's used anywhere from 18" packs to straight pipes, depending on preference. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
jackleg said:
Duffy said:
You got any pics of those sawed off pipes? The valkyrie owner's used anywhere from 18" packs to straight pipes, depending on preference. Please keep us posted.
I got a set of 3 1/2"x12" glass packs today and stuck them in this afternoon (2" through pipe). It's a pretty tight fit because of the welding on the hangers (makes a little ridge on the inside and I had to grind it off). Used a self drilling screw up through the bottom of everything to hold them in (top one was an easy fit but the bottom one I had to drive in so the screw wouldn't have been necessary). Hung them back on the bike and took it around the block. I'm not sure if everyone would like these but I'm going to run them for a couple of weeks and see how I like them. They sound almost like Cobra/Jardine slash cuts. I'll take one off/apart and take some pics this weekend and post them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duffy,
Did you notice any performance increase. I figured the increased back pressure would help out the torque.

Jackleg

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
jackleg said:
Duffy,
Did you notice any performance increase. I figured the increased back pressure would help out the torque.

Jackleg
Only did an around the block and the bike never really got warmed up (it's been pretty chilly here in the Great Northwest recently) so I'm not sure about any torque increase but they sure sound better than de-baffled and de-mickied mufflers.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Went out for a 40 mile ride this PM and the glass packs sound real good. I wouldn't claim any performance increase but the engine seems to be purring at 80 mph instead of straining. I'll run it for a few weeks to see how well it grows on me.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Got some pics posted of the glass packs installed and how much came off/out of the mufflers. I've been riding it for awhile and I kind of like it (a long ride might require ear plugs-I'll find out when the weather gets better). So far the cops haven't shown any interest.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Duffy said:
Got some pics posted of the glass packs installed and how much came off/out of the mufflers. I've been riding it for awhile and I kind of like it (a long ride might require ear plugs-I'll find out when the weather gets better). So far the cops haven't shown any interest.
I like em'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts