Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last month I took my 7 year old son to the Calgary Bike Show (great meeting you and your boy there Kirby/Noodles......Andy too!).

When we went to the kids dirtbike track, my son was turned away because he still rides his bicycle with training wheels. Since then he's talked non-stop about getting his own dirtbike after he kicks those training wheels to the curb this spring. I'm interested in making this a father/son thing we can do when we aren't out in the boat fishing. But after seeing how much the usual offerings cost from Kawi, Yami, etc, I'm not sure the wallet has enough stretch in it to get a 50cc for him and at least a 250 for me.

Along comes GIO dirtbikes, AKA Giovanni dirtbikes. They are VERY low price, made in China :roll: , and they LOOK decent from the eyes of a cruiser rider. What I want to know is.....are these bikes any good for a pair of dirtbike noobies? And if not, what other suggestions are there out there for a dad on a budget, as well as what a guy should be looking for in terms of features on the bike and associated gear a guy would need to make this all come together.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have not been around the GIO bikes, so I'm no help there. As for the gear I started riding when I was 4 years old and the one thing that was drilled into me by dad was ATGAT. I think all my gear was more expensive than my new to me " used through 2 older cousins" Honda 50.

A good youth helmet and decent armor is really a blessing when you first start riding if your son is anything like I was. I gave the little 50 all she wanted and more. I think for the first month It was on its side or upside down more than on its wheels.

Also if you don't have a welder I would find some one who does I think my dad made 4 or 5 different levers for that bike before I figured out you went farther with the wheels on the ground.

Most importantly have fun and make sure to let the youngster do some hard learning if you know what I mean it pays off in the long run.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Check Craigslist for a used name brand. I see them here all the time. The problem with all the Chi-Neez stuff is no source for replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
You need to talk to me.

·
Administrator
29,713 Posts
At least a 250 for you. Are you an experienced dirt rider... remember a 250cc dirt bike is a lot more powerful than your volusia....

Anyway, used Hondas and Yamahas are available at a price any dad can afford. a 50 and a 125 would be plenty... as long as you're of average size, that would run you around at 70MPH! Anyway, find a used, well cared for pair of bikes. I wouldn't trust any dirtbike that I didn't know, the little buggers take quite a pounding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
At least a 250 for you. Are you an experienced dirt rider... remember a 250cc dirt bike is a lot more powerful than your volusia....

Anyway, used Hondas and Yamahas are available at a price any dad can afford. a 50 and a 125 would be plenty... as long as you're of average size, that would run you around at 70MPH! Anyway, find a used, well cared for pair of bikes. I wouldn't trust any dirtbike that I didn't know, the little buggers take quite a pounding.
Only problem with this is hes going to want a 4-stroke and I haven't seen too many full-size 4 strokes under 250cc, the smaller displacement 4 strokes are usually made for youths.

I would go with used bikes, you can find them much cheaper and the value of a dirtbike goes way down faster than street bikes.

I'v bought a suzuki DR250 which is still running great for less than 1k. If you don't mind doing a little wrenching you can find some really good deals, just make sure the motor is solid and not burning oil or making funny noises.

Little 50s on the used market are super plentiful and cheap also. I have never owned one of the Chinese bikes and never would, I have heard second hand their pretty much junk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So last month I took my 7 year old son to the Calgary Bike Show (great meeting you and your boy there Kirby/Noodles......Andy too!).

When we went to the kids dirtbike track, my son was turned away because he still rides his bicycle with training wheels. Since then he's talked non-stop about getting his own dirtbike after he kicks those training wheels to the curb this spring. I'm interested in making this a father/son thing we can do when we aren't out in the boat fishing. But after seeing how much the usual offerings cost from Kawi, Yami, etc, I'm not sure the wallet has enough stretch in it to get a 50cc for him and at least a 250 for me.

Along comes GIO dirtbikes, AKA Giovanni dirtbikes. They are VERY low price, made in China :roll: , and they LOOK decent from the eyes of a cruiser rider. What I want to know is.....are these bikes any good for a pair of dirtbike noobies? And if not, what other suggestions are there out there for a dad on a budget, as well as what a guy should be looking for in terms of features on the bike and associated gear a guy would need to make this all come together.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a Chinese Pit bike for my kid 10 years back and it was cheap. It did not hold up all that well. I got it at Pep Boys, BTW. When the engine crapped out although it was a Honda 50CC knock-off, I could not get parts for it. So, I junked it.

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Older. The thread is 11 years old now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts