Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to sound stupid but I am wondering about the procedure for changing coolant. I get swinging the bike right and left after filling up the coolant to get rid of air bubbles - then the service manual says to start up your bike and then recheck fluid level and to do this several times. To start the bike I would have to put the gas tank back on and then remove it to check level - this seems pretty tedious in terms of gas tank on and off - am I making this to hard?

Thanks in advance

jmbarron

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
If you drain the cooling system completely, then measure out the exact amount of antifreeze 50/50 mix listed in the specs, you will have the right amount left in the measuring jug after the air is bled out with the side to side shake. That will be the correct amount for the expansion tank. Put it all back together and start it to warm up. Check the expansion tank level when it cools. Repeat till the cold level check is stable.

To clean the expansion tank, use CLR or vinegar or the like. Let it set and add some gravel to shake around in there to beat the scum off. Repeat till you like how it looks.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
When I did the initial fill on my bike, I filled and shook, filled and shook, filled and shook. It was right up to the top when I went in for the night.

The next morning it took another pint. It seemed like forever before I got all the air out.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
When I did the initial fill on my bike, I filled and shook, filled and shook, filled and shook. It was right up to the top when I went in for the night.

The next morning it took another pint. It seemed like forever before I got all the air out.
You were supposed to shake the bike, Viper........

·
Registered
858 Posts
What also helps is pouring the coolant in slowly. By doing that it will remove any air in the system as the coolant replaces the air in the coolant system while the air will come out at the top of the rad. I read that in my Kawasaki concours manual some years back and have used that system ever since. It works for me.

Henry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts