Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great day.
Put on about 150 miles riding around the country looking for Geocaches with my GPS. I found 9 this PM. This is only the second time I've tried searching for Geocaches. I only found one when I went out in January.

I saw about 40 deer, over 20 wild turkeys, several hawks, 2 bald eagles, sandhill cranes, lots of ducks and geese, and some moose poop. :shock: :lol:

If you have a GPS (esp a Garmin - on my Vista HCX, I can download the cache locations directly into my GPS ) you should give geocaching a try. It is a fun outdoor family activity for all ages.

Go to Geocaching.com. Plug in your zip code in the upper right corner, and see how many geocaches are hidden near you. I was amazed. 8)

A basic membership is free! If you create an account on geocaching.com we'll let you know when new caches are hidden in your area. You'll also have the ability to log your finds online to share your experience with the rest of the community.
Some are small...

Some are large...

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hi Snorky, I have done that a few times with my GPSMAP 76C, but on a bicycle. Gotta do something to keep the pounds in check :lol: Lots of fun for sure, with the motorcycle I can reach points farther out.

Cheers,
Moe

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
I've done it once in a while for the last couple of years. It's a good excuse to go for a walk in the woods. I think I have about 50 finds.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Toe Knee said:
anyone want to explain? :?
+1 I'm glad it wasn't just me.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Let's see if I can explain it in as few sentences as possible.

There are these liddle hidden packages from the size of prescription bottles to ammo containers hidden all over the world. Their lat/long coordinates are available at the geocaching site mentioned above, along with some hints about the individual packages (or caches). You take your GPS device--usually a handheld one, not the kind in your car--and hike through the woods/fields/parks/cities to find them.

Typical protocol is you sign a notebook contained in the cache. You can also take and/or leave something in the cache as well.

There are hundreds of thousands of these things, and some have incresing complexity--i.e. one leads you to another to another, etc.

It's kind of like a high-tech treasure hunt. But the motorcycle part of it, as far as I can tell, is only related in terms of how you get to your starting point of your search for the particular cache you're looking for.

It may sound a bit silly, but its kind of fun. Kid-friendly, and a good way to get outside.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
got it. I heard about this a few years ago. So you would need a lon/lat type of gps.

Sounds like fun. Do you ever find a cooler filled with beer or something like that? If so I'm buying a hand held unit after work!

LOL

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Tony, most GPS units show Lon/Lat, but the ones made for traffic do not have sufficient features and some of them are not even waterproof. Like Snorky said, the handheld Garmin GPS units are top of the line for this activity, that's why I would never give up the GPSMAP 76C (now replaced by the 76CSx with magnetic compass built in and a lot more memory). Those units float in water (I used it on my boats when I still had one) and simply do everything (except talk to you). Very sturdy/dependable.

The GPSMAP series has a Geocache function where you can download locations and keep track of your finds etc.

Cheers,
Carsten

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
It is and another good excuse or reason to get out there :wink: I use my unit on the motorcycle, the bicycle, the car and hiking. Got the RAM mount, too. It even shows best fishing/hunting times for any given location, tidal info, moon phase, calendar, calculator, stop watch ... for less than half of a Zumo (which is way too application specific for it's price. Yes, great on the bike but useless for geocaching, fishing, etc.) Plus you can load Mapsource Maps, which include major points of interest, U.S. Cities and Highways, Topography, BlueChart (for boating)... endless possibilites...

·
Registered
113 Posts
You know, this actually CAN be done with some of those old fashioned thingies. I think they were called maps and compasses. We used to do it in boy scouts when I was a kid. Probably a lost art now. Sign of the techy times. Gotta admit, it sounds fun with the GPS though!

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
A pic from geocaching:

You can see the ammo can on my seat (from a few years ago):

my log:

Took a long ride this morning to find the cache.
I left Orland, California at 6:10am. The weather was clear and cool. I Rode my Suzuki Volusia up I-5 to Redding, then 299w and to French Gulch. 299 to French Gulch was a motorcyclists dream. Long sweeping curves, and no traffic at all early in the morning.

The road narrowed halfway to the cache, and didn't get bad until the last 4 miles. There was a few pothols that could almost swallow my bike.

I found the cache intact and well stocked. The view of the valley was awesome. Thanks for bringing me up here (my first time to and above French Gulch).

Lots of wildlife to be seen along the road...a doe, fawn, peacock, chipmonks and squirrls.

Took: TB
Left: Police-issue whistle, My Chico PD trading card (with a pic of my motorcycle, and a business card from my riding club (I'm the chapter President).

Total ride time: 5 hours and 210 miles round trip.

Happy caching!!
Ed & Julie (our screen name)

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
Toe Knee said:
I might actually look into this. sounds like fun.
I can give you an intro to it any weekend this summer. (As long as you bring an attractive woman with you). It is a lot of fun and gets you to explore areas you ahve never been before. I lived in Rutland for 5 years and never got to Rutland State Park my first trip there was to find a cache, it was 5 miles from my house.

I put in the ZIP for my downtown Boston office and there are 200+ caches within a 10 mile radius. There would be more except the office is on the waterfront so and there are not many caches that require scuba or a boat. Believe it or not there are some that require at least a canoe. :wink:

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
So who hides them? Can anybody do it? I guess all you'd need is something to give you the precise coordinates where you're hiding it, huh?

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
TNrookie said:
So who hides them? Can anybody do it? I guess all you'd need is something to give you the precise coordinates where you're hiding it, huh?
Anybody can hide one... To publich one on the site you need to register (free).

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
They also have things that people move from cache to cache. These can be coins or "Travel Bugs (TBs)". TBs are usually little trinkets like a matchbox car, stuffed animal, or a memorial card that are tagged with a dog tag. These dog tags have a unique number that people can track on the site to see where there bug has traveled. School kids have planted bugs and then tracked them online as a school project.

One bug I picked up in VT one time (I was on my bike) was a toy motorcycle that was "released" by the widow of a biker. The bug started in AZ, last I looked it was in FL.

Here is what she wrote when she set the "bug" loose
Current GOAL: This travel bug is a motorcycle in a race with Samuel's Ride TB to see who will log the most miles in one year. The year is over. Let's keep Jack on the road.

About this item:
Happy Jack passed away 01/14/2005. He loved motorcycle riding. This TB is in his memory.

His competition:Samuel's Ride

Race Results: Happy Jack's Chopper is the winner as of 2/5/2006 with 6303 miles. Samuel's Ride traveled 5764 miles.

This is what I wrote when I logged the fact that I moved it....
It was a privilege to pick up this TB in St Johnsbury VT today and give it a 200 mile motorcycle ride to central MA. It was an awesome ride with the blue sky, bright sun and the moon was out most of the day. I felt a special feeling almost as if I had a wingman riding along with me. I hope Happy Jack liked rock I had my iPod playing Boston, zzTop, Lenny Kravitz and Bonnie Raitt. It was a truly awesome ride and I enjoyed the company.......

Here is Happy Jacks Chopper on the seat of my Vol

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
Toe Knee said:
v0lusia, YOU WORK IN TOWN NOW??????????????????????????
Worcester, Framingham and Boston (Mostly Woosta)

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
if you are around next week, let me know. We'll do lunch! (I've always wanted to say that.)

I'm gonna look over that site tonight. It sounds like good fun.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts