Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....and the wife scored a perfect 10 on her dismount.

Classic mistake, rolled up to a stop and prepared to make a right turn....

Handlebars turned right, handful of front brake and yup the bike laid over on her right side just like she's supposed to do.

The stop was made on a fairly steep downhill incline and where I stopped the crown rolled steeply away from me.

So when I did get stopped as I put my foot down it brought the bike over center and there was no way I could keep the bike with my passenger from just tipping on the right side.

Couple behind us said the wife's dismount was classic. She just stepped off and basically ended standing up. However she is now iceing her hip as she did have a rather hard impact.........but she assures me she's fine.

I will say that I think fatique did have a factor in this episode. It happened on the last turn before coming into the motel parking lot after an 8 hour riding day and the last 2 hours the heat index had hit 100 degrees.

In my mind I was already in the shower. Minor little scratch on the crash bar and muffler, VERY minor.

She's fine, I'm fine, the bike is fine and Wisconsin is beautiful.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
949 Posts
End of the day is the most dangerous. Mental and physical fatigue. Glad things didn't turn out too bad.

·
Administrator
16,713 Posts
Glad your both ok.

·
Registered
988 Posts
No harm no foul . Glad you are OK. I did it the first day I rode my bike. I stalled just before a sharp right turn. Luckily the Suzzi only weighs about 600 lbs. ( or am I just strong? ) Held it up just before the mirror touched the ground. The woman behind me gasped. LMAO . I didn't get a clean getaway . Hurt my ego big time .

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
End of the day is the most dangerous. Mental and physical fatigue. Glad things didn't turn out too bad.
That's the truth! One time after a 12 hour day on my Vulcan 1600, pulled into the garage, wasn't thinking straight, lost my balance and the bike started to go over. I said no way, not after the trip I just did, and I locked the handlebars and pulled that beyotch back up without it going down. It help that I weighed 280 at the time and could deadlift almost 600lbs.

Glad you came out ok Viper, and glad your wife is not hurt too bad.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
End of the day is the most dangerous. Mental and physical fatigue.
That's true. Sometimes you find yourself doing some pretty dumb things late in the riding day.

Several times I've found myself in the same scenario that Russ describes. I instinctively reach for the front brake but I catch myself and override that thought and tell myself to use only the back brake until I'm to a complete stop. Even after 10 years of riding it's not totally natural yet and requires a conscious effort.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How's she feeling today?
Really good. Just got home an hour ago (little over 300 miles from La Crosse) and she commented that her hip hadn't felt this good in long time. We've decided that I may have to throw her off the bike once a month as a hip treatment. :biglaugh:

We looked long and hard at a TriGlide in Albert Lee on the way home.

Might have gotten serious about it if the salesman hadn't been such a ****.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.