Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the manual, the scheduled 5th gear is at 31mph. Is this true? To me, the engine sounds like it is lugging. But, the manual suggests 1-2 @ 12, 2-3 @19, [email protected], [email protected] So with this, you should pretty much be in 5th gear at anytime during normal cruising considering the avg speed limit through towns are 35mpg.. correct?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ride in 5th gear around town. (30-45mph) I cant say that I follow that shifting pattern, I tend to shift later at a higher RPM. If I need to accelerate suddenly I do have to shift into 4th though because in 5th it lugs it to much. I hope that helped.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Bah,

Ride Hard, Shift when she's revin good and loud.

Granted our bikes have torque. Not enough to keep up with the 1500's and 1800's...well at least the ones I ride with.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess I am going to have to work on that alittle. I think I have been shifting it too high of an RPM then. :(

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
She'll tell you when it needs to be in 5th.... listen to her... (I know it sounds corny.. but its true)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aVOL2 said:
She'll tell you when it needs to be in 5th.... listen to her... (I know it sounds corny.. but its true)
Well, she doesn't tell me to put her into 4th till about 35mph. Guess she's one of those submissive types. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alot of it depends on how you like to ride your bike, if I really get on it, I might not shift into 5th until I'm going about 55. If im just crusing and taking my time I shift earlier.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the only reason I am asking is because I am still in the break-in period about 120miles and afraid now I have been running it alittle to hard on the RPM's. I just don't want to break anything. :cry:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think I used to shift into 5th around 35-40. I put in the DJ drive and now it has to be at 50 before shifting into 5th or it lugs...

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Jungle said:
aVOL2 said:
Well, she doesn't tell me to put her into 4th till about 35mph. Guess she's one of those submissive types. ;)
that's about right... :)

submissive is good................... in the right hands.. :) :wink:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jungle said:
Well the only reason I am asking is because I am still in the break-in period about 120miles and afraid now I have been running it alittle to hard on the RPM's. I just don't want to break anything. :cry:
You won't break it. And if it does it's better that it happens now under warranty instead of after. I hit the rev limiter once and asked the dealer about it. He said thats what it's there for and that it would be fine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
pilot85 said:
Alot of it depends on how you like to ride your bike, if I really get on it, I might not shift into 5th until I'm going about 55. If im just crusing and taking my time I shift earlier.
Geeze, maybe I'm workin her a little hard. I'm not clicking into 5th till, oh...~converting Km to miles~ about 70ish.

Maybe I need to consider the DJ Drive...

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
CndWrangler said:
pilot85 said:
Geeze, maybe I'm workin her a little hard. I'm not clicking into 5th till, oh...~converting Km to miles~ about 70ish.

Maybe I need to consider the DJ Drive...
Me too, under hard acceleration. When I'm just cruising then around 55 or 60 MPH (indicated)

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I've felt right shifting to 4th around low/mid 30's too. I wonder what type of fuel savings could be had if I was shifting more like what the manaul's schedule says.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If I shifted like the manual said I would feel like that was more likely to hurt the bike than revving a bit higher. I would only go as slow as high 40's in fifth gear if it was nice and level and I was just putt putting along for mileage and enjoying the scenery. With the DJ drive (about 14% higher gearing I think) I shift into 2nd at 25 mph then shifts are about 40, 50, and 60mph.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I always tooled around at 35 mph in 5th gear with no problems on my C50... got great gas mileage too (50 mpg in the city)... as long as you are not going up an incline, it shouldn't lug the engine...

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
50 mpg in the city? wow, I'm going to have to experiment with that. I've been getting around 43-44 mpg for a mix of highway/backroads driving. Won't hurt to try a few tanks with different shifting habbits.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was having the same questions myself. For a couple of tanks, I was running it into higher rpm's and was getting aroung 45mpg. Lately, I have been shifting closer to what the manual suggests, and have been getting 50-55mpg. It made a difference for me. I'll keep checking it and let y'all know.

·
Registered
301 Posts
IMO the OEM shift schedule is a bit silly. You will get better MPG shifting earlier, but that's just to soon. Not to mention that if you get in a "I need to move now" situation your bike would have terrible throttle response in that high a gear at that speed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts