Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been riding long (just over a month), but I've noticed about...8/10 riders dont wear jacksh1t as far as protective gear. Maybe, MAYBE a brain bucket.
I'm not trying to find a reason to ditch all my gear, but what's up with that?

Im trying to find the psychology behind this, especially after I realized for myself that a full grain armored leather jacket (partially perforated) is perfectly comfortable in the 80s degree heat (south florida). So i'm calling ******** on the "gear is too hot" argument.

I was gonna post this in the safety forum, but everyone there seems to be safety oriented, so the opinions are pretty one sided. (though i personally don't think it's really a question of "opinion"...)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yes, it makes more sense to ride fully armored even for a swift trip to a local shop for whatever errand requires. Do we all do this? No. I didn't grow up with a helmet for riding a bicycle, but now it's "de reguerre?" And child seats, and restraints, and. . . where the hell does it all end?

I'm not sorry if I offend those that require a "nanny-state" mentality, I'm just sorry that we've devolved into said state. At least I live in a state which leaves it up to the individual, taking responsibility for one's self.

Yes, it is safer to always ride with a helmet completely ensconced in leather armor, but. . . it's not always as much fun. To feel more one with the elements, as you pass through the air and as your motor accelerates. . .why give that up for the sake of less risk? When risk is part of the equation.

Oh hell, sometimes I feel like I'm typing to the blind, and it's not braile.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No matter what the safety experts or common sense tells us about skin versus asphalt there will always be those who are willing to take the risk.

Over here they range from the Mr Cools on the cruisers with jeans and a T-Shirt to young and stupid with shorts and a singlet.

Here's an example of the latter where I live....

The worst (or best:wayhappy:) I see is the fully leather clad sports biker with the girlfriend on the back with a short skirt, high heels and very little else.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
I wear all of my gear on every ride, and around here I've noticed the opposite, more riders wearing full faces and jackets. I do, however swap out my full face for a brain bucket on short runs. I kind of agree with Sam on the nanny state though. It's your head, and if you aren't worried about cracking it, have fun. People really need to learn to worry about themselves these days.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
818 Posts
In my state in Oz we pay $600+ annually per vehicle to cover the cost of accident injuries, treatment and rehab. I have 3 vehicles so that is $1800+ per year.

So yes, in Oz, it is your head, but it is me and all other riders and drivers that pay for it when you suffer 10 times the injuries because you didn't have the correct gear on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see. I don't mind people not wearing it, just wanted to understand the logic behind it.
I always thought it was temperature related but after trying on different jackets I knew there was more to it.

So it's sometimes the "I don't because everyone tells me I should" fever, or looks.

Very interesting, I love everyone's decision and only care about my own head. This would have made a great topic for a paper in psychology class.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my state in Oz we pay $600+ annually per vehicle to cover the cost of accident injuries, treatment and rehab. I have 3 vehicles so that is $1800+ per year.

So yes, in Oz, it is your head, but it is me and all other riders and drivers that pay for it when you suffer 10 times the injuries because you didn't have the correct gear on.
Good point. This is actually one reason seatbelts are mandated (in FL at least). The more work it takes to scrape ejected people of the asphalt, the more everyone else pays.

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Why people don't wear it? Cause they don't look cool wearing a full face and armored jacket. Same reason we didn't wear helmets on bicycles when I was a kid.

You'll notice that rocket riders always wear it... Because it looks cool to them.

:shades:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Helmet use has a lot to due with the various state laws. Here in Washington with mandatory helmet laws almost everyone wears a helmet. Protective clothing is optional but with a lot of cooler, wet weather you see a lot of motorcycle clothes. The 1%ers wear leather motorcycle jackets with patches as part of their identity. In our hot summers I often see a lot of full mesh jackets worn on MCs as many find it actually cooler than t-shirts. I see a lot of jeans some jeans may have Kevlar patches or hidden armor but most are probably just jeans.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Maybe the reason some folks don't wear safety gear is because they trust our Governments new health care system.

Maybe the reason some folks don't wear safety gear is because they are shallow brained. When the words "MAKES ME FEEL" comes into play as to how you dress, there is a big problem folks. Tell us how you feel a day after you've rode that hot asphalt as so many on here have done..

When I go to a bikers rally the first thing I do is walk up to a (usually harley) biker wearing HI-VIS and ask that person, "why are you wearing that HI-VIS safety jacket". They reply for the same reason you're wearing your HI-VIS safety jacket. We smile and shake hands.

Pain makes us change. Would you go to the hardware store, purchase a rasp ( Rasp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and start removing flesh from your palms and elbows? Why allow it to happen with g-force and asphalt? Same effect.

Seems like I was upsetting some folks here in the past for asking, "what color were you wearing when that car pulled out in front of you".
Black was their answer 95%.

I worked 3 MC vs. CAGE accidents as a former VFD. Cager's reply: "I didn't see that motorcycle coming". Truth is, a persons brain is not programmed to look for a tall thin object. They look for a wide horizontal cage.

·
Administrator
52,306 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I usually wear my modular and an armored jacket, but I admit to a few shirt rides last summer when the heat and humidity were too much for me... which is why I don't live in the deep south. I always wear the modular helmet however.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We all come down in different places on the Safety vs Comfort curve.
Have I ridden once without a coat? Yes, just once and I felt naked but it was over 96° that day and I felt the heat stroke risk was higher with my full coat with vents. Now I own a mesh coat for those days.
I dress how I want, they dress how they want. I would never speak to another's choice unless asked. Only exception is if you want to ride beotch behind me. My bike, my rules.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Maybe the reason some folks don't wear safety hear is because they trust our Governments new health care system.

Maybe the reason some folks don't wear safety gear is because they are shallow brained. When the words "MAKES ME FEEL" comes into play as to how you dress, there is a big problem folks. Tell us how you feel a day after you've rode that hot asphalt as so many on here have done..

When I go to a bikers rally the first thing I do is walk up to a (usually harley) biker wearing HI-VIS and ask that person, "why are you wearing that HI-VIS safety jacket". They reply for the same reason you're wearing your HI-VIS safety jacket. We smile and shake hands.

Pain makes us change. Would you go to the hardware store, purchase a rasp ( Rasp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and start removing flesh from your palms and elbows? Why allow it to happen with g-force and asphalt? Same effect.

Seems like I was upsetting some folks here in the past for asking, "what color were you wearing when that car pulled out in front of you".
Black was their answer 95%.

I worked 3 MC vs. CAGE accidents as a former VFD. Cager's reply: "I didn't see that motorcycle coming". Truth is, a persons brain is not programmed to look for a tall thin object. They look for a wide horizontal cage.
There's been a good awareness campaign running in Europe, mostly Britain, that I hope catches on here called 'SMIDSY' (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You).

And if people are looking for something wide and horizontal, they'll have no problem seeing me....:biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
When I ride, I look like a nerd.

And I don't much care. I intend to live to be an OLD biker, with all of my skin and teeth intact. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Helmets prevent unnecessary deaths. Protective clothing prevents unnecessary pain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never wore any protective gear until last year. Jeans, T shirt, and sunglasses on warm days and a beanie and hooded sweatshirt on cooler days. This year, I purchased a helmet, leather jacket, and gloves. My daughter was born in January and it seems like it would be selfish for me not to wear it... for my family's sake.

My mother tried to give me the guilt trip all last summer after we announced we were expecting... "You should really sell that bike. What if something were to happen to you?"

I responded that I have a risk in everything I do, rolling out of bed in the morning I could slip, fall, and crack my head on the bedside table. Skiing down the mountain I could catch an edge and fly into a tree. Climbing into my pickup I could get broadsided by a drunk doing 90. So I'll enjoy everything I currently do, but I'll protect myself as well as I can.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts