Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no instructions.
google for wire diagram. cant find without purchase sum subscription.
also any type of "viewing" google diagrams theres no diag plug ??

gear indicator has 3 wires.
diagnostic plug has 4 wires.

a black wire for each..thats easy. but the other 2.

I tried each way. and indicator just flickers.
I'm lost :/ I don't do wiring

·
Registered
94 Posts
More information is needed. Exactly what accessory did you buy, year and model of bike for starters. I installed one that was pug and play, no real wiring.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looks like a clone of Healthtech GIpro DS-series G1 or G2. It plugs into diagnostic port (I believ
Search for installation videos/instructions of this sensor, and I'm positive you will be able to find the correct pin placement for gear indicator plug. Link below has installation instructions for Suzuki G2 series. Poke around their website, I'm sure you'll find necessary information.

Link.
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gipro/gpdt/

·
Registered
528 Posts
il look again. I had no luck the other day
*link doesn't work*
Try this link or just google the company name: healtech-electronics.com

You could just try to randomly plug-in the indicator into diagnostic port, but use caution: I would assume two wires are +/- DC power (red/black), and one is signal (white wire?). Alternatively (and probably safer) you can connect red/black wires to external 12 VDC power (e.g. jump directly to battery, or use an external jumper pack to power it by clamping red and black connectors to the corresponding jumper wires), and try poking the white wire into diagnostic plug of your C50. If I'm not mistaken, it is located on the right side under the plastic cover (it usually has C50 badge glued on). Loosen one bolt facing towards the top, and carefully pull the cover off. There a few plugs, and smaller one is for dealer diagnostic. If the gear indicator you purchased from eBay has the correct size/shape connector plastic, it should match the bike's plug side. Plug in the gear indicator, start the bike (might not work without the engine running) and start switching gears. Also, you might not get a reading if rear tire is not turning (depending on how the gear position sensor works on C50 - I don't know that part).
When you find the correct signal wire, check with DC volt meter (aka multi-meter), which two wires feed power to the dealer diagnostic port (should be stable somewhere around 12-14 Volt DC), and wire it up using the plug.

Attached, is a picture of dealer diagnostic plug and wiring diagram for 2006 C50: top right corner of the diagram (next to ECM box) shows two plugs with nothing connected to them. If you match the colors of the wires going to the dealer diagnostic port on your bike, you will be able to trace which wires feed DC power, and which are signal. Considering dealer diagnostic plug has only 6 ports, I would consider checking the wiring diagram for the plug on the right side of the screenshot. Should be easy enough, if the indicator you've purchased works.
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yea the indicators plug plugs into the dead end diag plug on the bike under the cover.
but they didn't have the wires inserted into the plug from factory..should have :/
I had the bike up on a stand and motor running wheel turning.
I'm thinking they gave me a defective unit. it gets power but flickers

*after looking at all the diagrams for the bike I don't use diag plug anywhere

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Gear indicators are kind of a waste. The bike will tell you when you are in too high or too low of a gear, without an LED readout on your handlebars...

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
Seriously, you're banging your head off the work bench to try to shoe horn in an aftermarket gadget with no instructions - to tell you what? That you're in too high or too low of a gear? Dump the clutch and the engine will tell you instantly, no diagnostic plug required. The only indicator you need is neutral. Save yourself the frustrations and ditch the gadget.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for those of you that search and WANT INFO....
works now.

ching bang ding sent this to me

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the wires into the plug. obvisously it was the one combination I didn't try.
as it did not come with wires put into the plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cheap ebay one came the same way. The plug was color coded for the wires though. I haven't installed it yet. Where is the diag port on your ride?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Gear indicators are kind of a waste. The bike will tell you when you are in too high or too low of a gear, without an LED readout on your handlebars...
I completely disagree with your opinion, I have them on the C-50 and the C-90 and love knowing at a glance while stopped that I'm in 1st gear not 2nd, it also helps to eliminate lugging the bike in the wrong gear.

·
Registered
19,528 Posts
It's really easy to tell. You let off the clutch and if the bike doesn't move, you're not in first. Once you learn to listen to what the bike is telling you, you don't need fancy indicators. You can make sure you don't find yourself in such a situation by habitually down shifting into first, while coming to a stop. Just like they teach in the Basic Rider Course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts