Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Best mod I've ever done. Gained me 10 mpg on a tank and increased my HP by 15!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I did the gas tank mod on my 2007 and only gained 5 mpg but I did seem to get a higher HP gain did not run on a dyno so I don't know if I got the more than the expected 15 extra HP but am consistently seeing the front wheel lift if I use too much throttle.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I ride 87 octane all the time and no issues, detonation or problems. I'm good with the fuel economy too.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I was wondering if I could find and internet source that actually had some data on gasoline by brand and only came up with a Maryland State Comptroller and ABC news analysis.

With the help of the Maryland State Comptroller, ABC News compared gas from a name-brand Mobil station and a generic Liberty station right across the street from each other. It was from 2007, Mobil was charging $2.69 a gallon for regular, while Liberty charged $2.49 a gallon.
The comptroller's office collected samples of regular unleaded at each station. The inspector followed a strict protocol, flushing the line between samples and carefully labeling canisters.
At the Maryland Fuel Testing Laboratory, chemists conducted a battery of tests. First, they verified that gas was formulated correctly for the season. Then, they checked for contaminants, like excessive sediment or diesel, accidentally mixed with the gasoline.
They also ran the gas through an elaborate engine to make sure it got the 87 octane level people pay for. Both samples easily met state standards.
"By and large, it's one and the same.

Generic vs. Brand-Name Gas: Are They Different? - ABC News

·
Registered
961 Posts
C50's are a low compression engine.
Plain old regular is all that is needed.
Anything more is a waste of $$$.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone “know” if Leaded
vs Unleaded actually makes a harmful difference either way? The mechanic motorcycle shop in Palm Desert CA next to the Ace Hardware said running the Leaded gas 110 Octane was a good idea. For the first time, I ran the 110 octane ($10/gal) Leaded racing fuel. It seemed to give a boost and get a bit quicker on the go. Mostly, did so to solve a backfiring issue that occurred from some old dirty gas recently bought. Today the backfiring was going away (only twice in two hours ride)... Does Leaded help clean out the injectors? Why does the mechanic recommend this? If you are guessing, please don’t answer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Does anyone “know” if Leaded
vs Unleaded actually makes a harmful difference either way? The mechanic motorcycle shop in Palm Desert CA next to the Ace Hardware said running the Leaded gas 110 Octane was a good idea. For the first time, I ran the 110 octane ($10/gal) Leaded racing fuel. It seemed to give a boost and get a bit quicker on the go. Mostly, did so to solve a backfiring issue that occurred from some old dirty gas recently bought. Today the backfiring was going away (only twice in two hours ride)... Does Leaded help clean out the injectors? Why does the mechanic recommend this? If you are guessing, please don’t answer.

I don't know but at 10 bucks a gallon I would be wary that he was just telling you that to make 10 bucks a gallon:biglaugh:

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
646 Posts
and you people that always use 92 oct and say it runs better remind me of my dear darling wife, who always claims that she can tell he difference in her car after I change her oil...…………….even when I just tell her I changed it
waste your money and please pass me the salt for my popcorn

·
Super Moderator
26,097 Posts
I would just follow the recommendations from the manufacturer in the owner's manual. The VL800 engine doesn't create enough compression to warrant the use of high-octane gas. If you put low-octane gas in a high-compression engine the gas will ignite too soon, causing issues with the engine. At the other end of the spectrum, putting high-octane gas in a low-compression engine it won't really do anything. The high-octane fuel will ignite when the plugs fire, regardless of what the compression is at. It won't really do anything except drain your wallet faster though.

Concerning leaded vs unleaded, I would definitely encourage you to NOT use leaded gas in the engine. It is designed for unleaded fuel and is not equipped to handle the lead that is in the fuel. It will likely damage things due to the deposits left behind by the lead. You're going to find that things like the O2 sensors fail quickly.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts