Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
Our's run better on the good stuff.

Try different types and see what runs better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,921 Posts
the bikes have a low compression engine : 9.4 to 1 (C50) so can use 87 octane w/ no problems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
I run mid grade in everything I own...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
I've tried them all. No advantage to to MPG using the higher octans. It doesn't knock at 87. So that's what I use.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,380 Posts
Owners manually clearly says regular grade...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
used to run premium, ran ok, decent mileage, switched to regular, ran better, way better mileage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
regular gas for me on my one ton, my durango, the DR AND the busa........ makes no damn sense to put anything else in there unless the compression is higher....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
... low compression engine gets low octain gas ... it is actually better for your bike as well ... you don't actualy want that high octain go-juice scrubbing the inside of your motor nice and shiny ... a little grime (in this case) is a good thing ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
started with premium 45mpg after about 2,000miles switched to mid-grade , still ran good 54mpg. I would try regular but we have ethanol mix gas here. I am not sure how it would run with that much water in it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,051 Posts
Has anyone heard the stories about ethanol mixes making small engines run hotter? A recent article I saw suggested premium for things like lawnmowers and snowblowers. Not sure if our engines qualify as "small" however....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I use the cheapest but here that is the mid grade due to the ethanol blend.

pbryon said:
Has anyone heard the stories about ethanol mixes making small engines run hotter? A recent article I saw suggested premium for things like lawnmowers and snowblowers. Not sure if our engines qualify as "small" however....
I've used it for years with no problem in everything. Only reason it would run hotter is if it was higher octane.

Cwolf2-

Why would you think it has water in it? Ethanol can attract water if stored for some time but not enough to effect engine operation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,181 Posts
Ethanol does run hotter because it has oxygen molecules built into its structure resulting in your engine leaning out and reduced fuel economy. Closed loop EFI systems can compensate for the leaning out effect of ethanol but open loop systems like the C50 can't. They C50 will get worse fuel economy because you have to use more throttle to produce the same amount of horsepower at the rear wheel. Closed loop systems get worse fuel economy because they adjust the mixture to a proper AFR.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
53,885 Posts
The 87 octane where I live is ethanol blend, and my C50 doesn't care for it. Mid-grade or 89 octane seems to pacify the engine, and as I recently posted, I obtained 53.26 mpg using this fuel along with the DJ Drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
FX4 said:
Ethanol does run hotter because it has oxygen molecules built into its structure resulting in your engine leaning out and reduced fuel economy. Closed loop EFI systems can compensate for the leaning out effect of ethanol but open loop systems like the C50 can't. They C50 will get worse fuel economy because you have to use more throttle to produce the same amount of horsepower at the rear wheel. Closed loop systems get worse fuel economy because they adjust the mixture to a proper AFR.
Oh ya... Well.. How much hotter? It doesn't get as good of mpg I have heard. Seriously though, how much hotter? I may have to pay more for 87 to get away from the ethanol. Last I checked I was getting 52mpg with mixed driving on the blended. :wink: :D :D :wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,012 Posts
RevBill said:
... low compression engine gets low octain gas ... it is actually better for your bike as well ... you don't actualy want that high octain go-juice scrubbing the inside of your motor nice and shiny ... a little grime (in this case) is a good thing ...
The lower the octane the cleaner the fuel.

To get a higher octane rating anti knock compounds have to be added to the fuel.
The anti-knock compounds would leave deposits which foul engines so detergents have to be added to clean out the anti-knock compound deposits.

When gas companies advertise about the cleaning additives in their "premium" fuels that is really why it is there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,181 Posts
Rizzo said:
FX4 said:
Ethanol does run hotter because it has oxygen molecules built into its structure resulting in your engine leaning out and reduced fuel economy. Closed loop EFI systems can compensate for the leaning out effect of ethanol but open loop systems like the C50 can't. They C50 will get worse fuel economy because you have to use more throttle to produce the same amount of horsepower at the rear wheel. Closed loop systems get worse fuel economy because they adjust the mixture to a proper AFR.
Oh ya... Well.. How much hotter? It doesn't get as good of mpg I have heard. Seriously though, how much hotter? I may have to pay more for 87 to get away from the ethanol. Last I checked I was getting 52mpg with mixed driving on the blended. :wink: :D :D :wink:
I have no idea - put it on a dyno and look at the AFR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,843 Posts
Tried 89 a few times, didn't bring any benefits - back to 87 as called for by the manufacturer.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top