Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mystified at the difficulty in finding lower wind deflectors for my '08 Boulevard C50T with the stock windshield. I'd love to see if any of you have pictures of anything close to that installed on your bike (on the forks or the windshield frame) and where you got them. Any help in this would be appreciated as I've called National Cycle, Suzuki, etc, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a close up picture of the windshield and fork area on my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm mystified at the difficulty in finding lower wind deflectors for my '08 Boulevard C50T with the stock windshield. I'd love to see if any of you have pictures of anything close to that installed on your bike (on the forks or the windshield frame) and where you got them. Any help in this would be appreciated as I've called National Cycle, Suzuki, etc, etc.
Optional way to mount the Lower:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Reactions: C50tdoog+r

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I click on that Amazon link, it tells me those won't fit on my bike.

·
Administrator
55,131 Posts
Lowers such as the Memphis Shades are usually a fits-all type item.
As long as the clamping device will fit around the forks, they shouldn't be a problem to mount.
Even if the clamps are a bit larger, one can always add some weatherstrips to fill the clamp.

Building Your own lowers is really not that difficult.
Imaged below, are mine on My C50.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Reactions: C50tdoog+r

·
Registered
382 Posts
Memphis Shades part numbers are somewhat confusing - there appear to be two numbering systems for each part.

Clear fork deflectors (no hardware): MEM5804, also known as 2350-0143

Clear lowers (no hardware): MEM5810

Either of these two lowers/fork deflectors use the same mounting hardware.

Hardware (clamps) to fit C50: MEM9898, also known as 2321-0038

I can guarantee that those are the correct clamps for a 2012 C50 - I'm using them.

Don't overtighten the clamps unless you want to put permanent creases in your fork covers! That fork cover material is pretty thin.

The MEM5810 Lowers are somewhat shorter and wider, whereas the MEM5804 Fork Deflectors are a little narrower and taller. Both types use the same hardware (clamps). I have used both types, I prefer the narrower, taller fork deflectors.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I made my own lowers and used some angle aluminum to mount to the stock windshield mount. I needed something to help deflect the rain drops over my grips. These are made from a piece of lexan I cut out with a jigsaw and router and a little sanding.

Total cost was $32 for the lexan (Home Depot), and angle aluminum (hardware store) and 4 chrome bolts to replace the factory ones with a longer thread.

These were the 2nd set I made. The first looked like this:

I made them longer to mount on the windshield frame.

They work very well, especially in wet weather.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the info. After much research I decided to go with MEM9898 and MEM5804. I'll show them installed if I can get them to work how I want them to. Should look like this...sorta.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used the following link to make a set ... used aluminum so didn't need the alum. angle to support the lexan... polished them a little and could have spent more time making them sparkle
I don't recall where the clamps came from, but they have their own rubber on them (fits nice!) and they were only a couple bucks each. Found them online somewhere. Maybe search for "insulated clamps"
Motorcycle Lowers (low deflectors)

The idea is to get the air up behind the windshield. Suzuki didn't catch onto that with the C90's, those factory lowers prevent air from helping the vacuum and actually make it worse!

Attachments

Reactions: Psyc0

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is what I made for my 2014 Boss. It's not a very closeup pic, but it'll give you an idea at least. I used aluminum angle, aluminum flat, and clear acrylic. Total cost including bolts was $40. I used the factory windshield mounting bolts to mount the lowers.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
That a great idea. I guest you were disturb like me by the wind turbulence from 90 km/hr and upper. Does'it solve the problem ?

camda

·
Registered
127 Posts
Home made. If you have a factory light bar it is a little challenging. It certainly reduced the buffeting.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nicely done and great photo Normshark, but I'm curious if the wind gets between the forks and the aluminum bars? looks like quite a gap there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nicely done and great photo Normshark, but I'm curious if the wind gets between the forks and the aluminum bars? looks like quite a gap there.
If you have a light bar (I also do) that's how they look - a gap between the lower and the windshield. The correct arrangement is to get the lowers mounted so the top edge is behind the windshield with some small amount of overlap, like an inch or so. The whole point is to get that air to flow up the lowers and continue up the back side of the windshield, keeping it away from your helmet. Without the lowers, it flows up over the front and top of the gas tank and hits you right below the chin, causing all types of buffeting and blurred vision, as you already know.

Mine look just like that photo: the top edge of the lowers overlaps the windshield by about an inch and my driving lights/turn signals put the front surface of the lowers about a half inch behind the rear surface of the windshield. They work great.

·
Registered
127 Posts
but I'm curious if the wind gets between the forks and the aluminum bars? looks like quite a gap there.
It's about a half and inch or so. A little wind might get through but it doesn't seem to affect the overall performance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks again for the info. After much research I decided to go with MEM9898 and MEM5804. I'll show them installed if I can get them to work how I want them to. Should look like this...sorta.
C50tdoog+r,

Where did you order them from. My usual choice is Amazon but curious if you found them cheaper elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts