Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is expressing a growing interest in motorcycles and wrenching on them, so I thought it'd be a perfect opportunity to work together on installing my new Cobra freeway bars...

Needless to say he really enjoyed it, since it can be tough at times to get a teen to admit they had fun doing something with the "old man."

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basshole said:
very cool!!! now if I can get him to adjust my valves.... 8)
I'm thinking about renting out his mechanic services. Pay by the hour... Cash only... And since he's never done any of this stuff before, hey don't worry... who ever worries about that little "learning curve" thing, right??? :wink:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was pretty stoked going by the Metric Thunder shop as well, and ogle over the two bikes outside. It's interesting to watch his interest express itself. I realize it was only four bolts to put on the bars, but just watching his enthusiasm was well worth it to me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
40 years ago, my old man did the same thing to me, so it's all his fault.
I was eleven years old.
Letting me wrench on his old 45 left me with a curiosity that paid off.
My first bike was purchased new from Sears with my summer lawn mowing money, and it was all mine:

After riding around town following Dad for several months, he let me ride that 45 alone.... and the stone was set: I was a motorcyclist.
Later, he told me that although my bike slowed him down a bit, it was a very nice feeling that he had someone to ride along with that he could trust.
I think that was the day I became my father's son.
It did have benefits:
Christmas day 1968 was very special. I opened a giant box containing many more smaller boxes ending with a small envelope with two Honda keys and the title/paperwork:

(pic is not my bike..there was a Kodak moment, but Mom has it hidden away in one of hundreds of albums)

If he had not recognized that spark in me, I'd probably have been one of those asswipe high school kids with a Saturday night drinking problem and a (semi-hot ) Dodge Charger with a cheerleader girlfriend warming up the velour upholstery.
Instead, I was becoming an accomplished rider.
I was learning how to power drift on dirt, and about the only thing I was scared of was hooking a rock while I was deep into a turn.

Do your kids a favor, find something they like and introduce them ( properly! ) to it.
And who knows?
Maybe there's a chance you'll start something you're proud of...

·
Registered
849 Posts
now try to stop the madness. I dare you!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Treetop said:
40 years ago, my old man did the same thing to me, so it's all his fault.
I was eleven years old.

Do your kids a favor, find something they like and introduce them ( properly! ) to it.
And who knows?
Maybe there's a chance you'll start something you're proud of...
Treetop, that is one of the coolest stories I have ever read! :applause: :applause: :applause: Great advice too!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brian o said:
now try to stop the madness. I dare you!!
Doubt I could stop that flood. Still looking to do the license plate mod and stiffen up my saddlebags. Sounds like perfect mods that'll need some help. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts