Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to replace my HJC full face helmet that was included when I bought my bike. It has served it's purpose, but is somewhat uncomfortable and noisy. I typically ride with a shorty (Scorpion) in the summer, but use the FF for cold weather. (BTW I love the Scorpion shorty!)

I've been looking at the Shoei RF1200, anyone have one of these or a similar model? What do you think? I use a Blueant wireless headset for communication with buddies when riding - the literature indicates a headset will fit inside nicely. Before I spend a lot of $$$ thought I'd see what others think. Do you have another recommendation?

SHOEI North America | RF-1200

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
Shoei. I ride with nothing else..... Best helmet I have ever owned. So much, I have the FF, Modular and 3/4.

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
I like Arai. At the cycle show, Bruce Porter, Arais US helmet guru, hand fit me into a new helmet. I am down from a 3x HJC to a 2x shoei to a regular large Arai. The helmet weighs nothing and is pure protection. Plus it comes with a fog proof pinlock visor... And they are 100 percent fogproof.

I know 500 smackers is a lot of money for a helmet. But it is worth every penny to have all that protection in the same weight profile as a skid lid. Comfort is king.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
I do like the shoei, too. Same story as Arai. And everyone will be pleased to know I wont be getting us too lost anymore after upgrading to a bluetooth system by scala in my lid. No more tom tom/autocom.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
the RF1200 is a nicve helmet but doesn't fit my head shape.

you really need to go try a bunch of helmets to see what fits you. otherwise you'll be regretting that you spent a pile of money and your head hurts after 30 minutes.

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
better yet, the motorcycle show travels. Bruce Porter from Arai will fit everyone by hand. And crazier still, he will remember you from year to year. If you have a chance to make one of ith IMS shows he will take the time to square you away. My new Arai is custom fit right to the cheekpads, all at no charge.

He is also loyal to his vendors. He will not sell you a helmet, you just write down the info and order. custom pads are free if ordered with new purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any other thoughts on the Shoei or Arai?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The Arais that I tried on seemed to be lighter than the Shoei.

Head shape is my biggest concern when buying a helmet. I rarely buy a helmet online unless its the same model that I wore before.

It also seems that Shoeis go on sale and have better discounts.

·
Super Moderator
9,130 Posts
Any other thoughts on the Shoei or Arai?
I have a round (German) head. The Shoei Qwest happens to fit me very well, better than did my HJC. Good fit is my #1 priority.

Though my HJC was a lot of helmet for the money, I find Shoei's quality to be a higher, and the shell to be lighter. The lighter weight is really nice on those long days in the saddle. The Qwest is also, when the face shield is closed, pretty darned quiet compared to the HJC.

Only downside has been that the Shoei fogs up very, very easily, even with the addition of a Pinlock shield. It's the only helmet I've owned where I absolutely need to use the breath deflector. It's aggravating to have to ride so often with the shield cracked open.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Shark is by far my favorite. It's not big over here but huge overseas. A Lot of the Motogp Riders wear them.

Pretty much any full face helmet is better than even the best half lid.

My top brands are Shark, Arai, Suomy, and Shoei
I wrecked a Shark helmet once at around 60 and landed head first on a man hole cover. The helmet did its job but I wasn't impressed with how bad it took the impact. Also Shark is one of the heaviest helmets you can buy.

You want the helmet to be as light as possible for less neck stress and less wind bobble.

HJC is a decent helmet and probably # 5 on my top 5 list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts