Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 vl800. Will not idle with our the choke on no matter how long it warms up...I hear this has been a common problem for this bike...only had it a few weeks, just wanted to hear what others have done to fix before I start trying things..thanks...Ride on!!!!!

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
On the VL800, it is not a choke, but an enrichment circuit. If the bike will not idle without the knob pulled completely out either the idle speed is too low (it is supposed to idle at 1100rpm), the mix is too lean (either plugged jets or an incorrect air filter) or the air/fuel mix screw is not adjusted correctly. If the idle is good and you are running an OEM filter with no air leaks from the air box to the carb, then the issue will be with the carb, jets and fuel mix. On the outside, it could also be the screen in the bottom of the gas tank that could be plugged with rust or sludge from old gas.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
also chack the vac system
a leak will cause low fuel flow due to partially open petcock

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 04 and ran into this problem after a dose of seaform, had to clean the carb not once but twice cleared up and ran perfect after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i will probably just take it and havebmu mechanic run through everything...but you say there is no choke? Didn't know that thanks....

On the VL800, it is not a choke, but an enrichment circuit. If the bike will not idle without the knob pulled completely out either the idle speed is too low (it is supposed to idle at 1100rpm), the mix is too lean (either plugged jets or an incorrect air filter) or the air/fuel mix screw is not adjusted correctly. If the idle is good and you are running an OEM filter with no air leaks from the air box to the carb, then the issue will be with the carb, jets and fuel mix. On the outside, it could also be the screen in the bottom of the gas tank that could be plugged with rust or sludge from old gas.
also chack the vac system
a leak will cause low fuel flow due to partially open petcock
I have an 04 and ran into this problem after a dose of seaform, had to clean the carb not once but twice cleared up and ran perfect after that.
Zip...did the sea form do any good_

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Seafoam cleaned well, wellmaybe too well think it knocked some boogers loose clogging the carb but have had good results with it otherwise.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Seafoam is an alcohol based solvent that was used in the marine industry to remove sludge caused by two-stroke oil in outboard engines. It has since been recommended as a cure-all mechanic in a bottle. Pouring a can of seafoam into a 5 gallon tank will cause issues as the alcohol will attack your hoses and seals while it sits. If you use it, use the RECOMMENDED amount. Will it work? Probably not. Mechanic in a bottle usually only separates you from your hard earned money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts