Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a fuel tank for my 96 vs800. Has the petcock on the "driver's side" can't afford a new one. Anyone have a good tank they'ed sell reasonablely priced? My tank is full of rust holes on the seat end. Would have to be shipped of course which I will pay for.

·
Registered
19,770 Posts
The VS800 has no compatible parts with the Volusia VL800 or the C50/M50. You're going to have to find something specific to that model and your best source is going to be Ebay or a salvage yard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked ebay n found a couple that are all dented up for no less than a 100 dollars. Checked all the salvage yards in my area, none of them have anything. If I could find a tank that's shaped pretty much the same on the outside mainly the saddle groove or what ever it's called on the bottom and the petcock in the right place I could make the rest work cause the front mounting bracket that bolts onto the bike is gone anyway.

·
Registered
19,770 Posts
The only way you're going to fit a non-oem tank to that frame is with a welder and bending jig. Otherwise, you're stuck with what's available. Restoring older bikes like this can be tricky, as there aren't many out there to begin with, making salvage parts scarce. It's not like a Harley where there are a billion aftermarket companies still producing things for bikes from the 50s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went bought some liquid copper n put in it sloshed it all around, heated it good with a heat gun and so far not a drip. Tanks back on the bike and fuel is in it. Now just to hope I rinsed it good enough to keep it from clogging filters and carbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: so far so good. Still no leaks and I took it for a several mile ride yesterday. More updates to follow. P.S. if anyone wants to try what I did it was Bars stop leak and I can snap n post a pic of the bottle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts