Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

A couple of days ago, I changed oil and filter. Went to start it up to run in the new oil into the filter and the bike would not start. Acted as though it was out of fuel? Was not though. After turning the key off and on and the kill switch a couple of times, it fired right up.

Now, this morning, I notice that when I hit the kill switch to activate the fuel pump in the starting procedure, I hear a slight pump noise but not normal. Remember, this bike has 67k miles and I'm aware of what's normal and not. I turn the key off, wait a moment, turn it back on and then the kill switch and the pump kind of drags down. Very quick sound, not the prolong 2-3 second pump. Turn the key off again and wait, Turn it back on and the KS again and the pump energizes properly and it starts right up.

Is there a pump relay I should be looking for that may need to be replaced? And if so, where is it located? I don't think its in the KS as it does energize slightly. Just not fully. Any ideas?

Thanks,

rv

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Good morning all,

A couple of days ago, I changed oil and filter. Went to start it up to run in the new oil into the filter and the bike would not start. Acted as though it was out of fuel? Was not though. After turning the key off and on and the kill switch a couple of times, it fired right up.

Now, this morning, I notice that when I hit the kill switch to activate the fuel pump in the starting procedure, I hear a slight pump noise but not normal. Remember, this bike has 67k miles and I'm aware of what's normal and not. I turn the key off, wait a moment, turn it back on and then the kill switch and the pump kind of drags down. Very quick sound, not the prolong 2-3 second pump. Turn the key off again and wait, Turn it back on and the KS again and the pump energizes properly and it starts right up.

Is there a pump relay I should be looking for that may need to be replaced? And if so, where is it located? I don't think its in the KS as it does energize slightly. Just not fully. Any ideas?

Thanks,

rv
The fuel pump relay is behind the secondary gear case cover on the left-hand side of the bike.

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Fuel pump relay is right next to fuse box (left side of bike just forward of swing arm cover). The relay has a four pin connector and is to the rear of the fuse box.

Looking in my service manual it says to measure fuel pressure with an oil pressure gauge and a fuel hose adapter and the suspect is the fuel pressure regulator which unfortunately is located on the fuel pump inside the tank.

If fuel pressure is lower than specification inspect fuel hose leak, clogged fuel filter, pressure regulator, fuel pump.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pump relay is right next to fuse box (left side of bike just forward of swing arm cover). The relay has a four pin connector and is to the rear of the fuse box.

Looking in my service manual it says to measure fuel pressure with an oil pressure gauge and a fuel hose adapter and the suspect is the fuel pressure regulator which unfortunately is located on the fuel pump inside the tank.

Hope this helps
It does help understand the possible issueor may need some contact cleaner there since its located in an area that breeds debris, rain, corrosion. the fuel pressure regulator does makes sense that it may be be operating properly and cannot determine pressure?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the issue a couple of times today as a daily commuter. Seems like I can push in on the ign switch with the key and the pump will then work when I flip the kill switch on. Starts right up. I have used the " how to fix" procedure on the switch a few months ago for a no electrical power issue. May have to check it again.

RV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.