Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum but already enjoying the community. Hopefully someone has some direction for me :smile2:

Recently headed out for a ride on my 2007 c50 with fuel injection. The bike suddenly stopped and I soon discovered that the fuel pump fuse blew.

When I went to replace the fuse I noticed that I was getting some sparking when installing the fuse even though ignition was not turned on. I did install the fuse and turned on the ignition. The fuel pump went through its usual whine and then blew the fuse. I'm guessing that I must have a short but not sure where to begin.

As an extra piece of info, I'd washed the bike the day before and the fuse blew when I took a sharp corner. Maybe some water is stuck somewhere shorting the circuit but it's been really hot and I have to think any water has evaporated?

Thanks in advance for any diagnostics or ideas.

TD

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Welcome to the VR forum.

Since this is your first post, please slip on over to the new members section and give yourself a bit of an extra introduction when you feel comfortable doing so.

I would suggest that you remove the seats and lift the back of the tank so that you can inspect where the fuel pump wiring connects to the main harness.

A connecter or wire at that point may have come loose or been pinched.

Water in those connections by and it itself doesn't usually cause a blown fuse – not that there couldn't be a first time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gene,

Took your advice and found that the wire harness on the right hand side under the side cover was rubbing against the frame and the wire shorted out. For the sake of others, seems like it could be a common issue as the wire harness does rub against the frame in this spot and no protection to cushion the blow.

Here are a couple of pics showing the frayed wire and fix - in which i soldered the wire, wrapped in shrink and then covered the bundle in electrical tape to help prevent further rub through.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Gene,

Took your advice and found that the wire harness on the right hand side under the side cover was rubbing against the frame and the wire shorted out. For the sake of others, seems like it could be a common issue as the wire harness does rub against the frame in this spot and no protection to cushion the blow.

Here are a couple of pics showing the frayed wire and fix - in which i soldered the wire, wrapped in shrink and then covered the bundle in electrical tape to help prevent further rub through.

Wheres the pics?

·
Registered
21,926 Posts
This is a 5 year old thread. Any link to pictures has been lost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts