Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, the first thing I did with this bike after I got it was go up to a 155 main jet since the prior owner put on pipes and a K&N, but did not touch the carb. I then put a metal, round-head screw in the two lines coming out of the PAIR valve to stop the popping. I went for my first ride yesterday and made 43.6MPG, which is WAY up from the prior 41~42MPG. I went on a long ride today and while I have not fueled up again yet, it appears to be even better. Is this the normal response from plugging the PAIR valve and putting in the right size main jet?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Pair valve only adds air to exhaust to complete combustion process, If it affected your millage it must have been defective.:twisted:

·
Registered
484 Posts
A single ride or single tankful is not a large enough sample to know if your mileage really changed or not. A 10-tank average before the mod and a 10 tank average after the mod would be the best way to see if there really was a change.

Either way, a dead stock Volusia should get about 46-47, so 41-43 is about all you can expect from one with mods.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, my second fill-up reveals 45.3mpg. I am driving normally, which is between 55 and 60 on country roads with some stop and start. Oh and that is actually 55 and 60, which is 60 and 65 on my dash. It has cooled off now to the point of not riding, so I may not have a third tank for a while, but I will update the thread once I do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found this chart online and it about parallels my 2005 C50.
(See Attachment)
Speedometer shows 70 mph, GPS shows 65 mph. How will that affect the odometer reading?
It should read 7.14% High. But....

At the end of my ride yesterday the odometer showed 105.9 miles, the GPS 105.6 miles.
That is only a .03 mile difference.
The chart doesn’t apply to the C50. :applause:

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got another tank done today with 47.1mpg this time. Note that I aired up the tires to 33psi/36psi per the label on the drive-shaft. It was much lower, and that was probably affecting it. The previous owner was anal about keeping it spotless and I assumed he had done more than oil changes. The front tire was at 15.5psi...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Got another tank done today with 47.1mpg this time. Note that I aired up the tires to 33psi/36psi per the label on the drive-shaft. It was much lower, and that was probably affecting it. The previous owner was anal about keeping it spotless and I assumed he had done more than oil changes. The front tire was at 15.5psi...
Low Front air pressure of 15.5 PSI can not only cause a loss of mileage it would also adversely effect handling. With your pressure now at 33psi/36psi I am sure you will find the bike seems to enjoy curves a lot more and is more eager to turn.:shades:

From my experience tires always loose some pressure over time. Air pressure on a motorcycle needs regular checking. A lot of motorcyclist don't check air pressure often enough at a motorcycle rally some 30% of the bikes checked had improper air pressure.:crying:

Reactions: lv2tinker

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Low pressure means the tire can go boom on a hot summer day. I check my tires at every ride, except with this bike due to how well it was maintained. Oil changes were regular, air filter was cleaned regularly (K&N), and the bike looks showroom new, so this was a bad assumption. It does handle better and it goes a tad easier. Also a good reason as to why my mileage went up again.

Another thing I have done is switch to non-ethanol gas, which the previous owner did not do. On top of that, I have been running Startron in the gas to remove the effects left by the ethanol and it keeps getting better. I believe that between the main jet change, the ethanol treatment, the switch to pure gas, and actually inflating the tires, I will see a good bit of gains.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I posted this on my other thread, but my last two tanks have netted me a tad over 46mpg and 47mpg respectively. I went for a 200mi ride yesterday and took my fiance. On the way down we got 38.82MPG due to a lot of stop and go. On the way back I opened her up and did between 65mph and 70mph. I normally do not ride that fast due to the insanely low top-end on this bike, but it seemed to go along fine.

I will know what my mileage was on the way back when I fill it up later.

*UPDATE*

On the way back I averaged 41.98mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts