Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 2005 c50t as to date every thing is still stock. I am experiencing a fuel knock as the bike warms up of course the warmer the bike the worse the knock. Mostly on acceleration and again the harder you accelerate the worse it gets. Has any one else had this problem? The bike also seems to run a bit rich not sure if that can cause it or not. And of course my worthless dealer has the same answer as he does for every thing else (that is common for that bike) B.S. Any way i have tried different fuels it does not seem to make a difference.

Anny help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
my 2006 is a gas o'holic. It drinks any company /grade and always wants more and don't complain (except when it's bottle gets low :lol: )

Try another stealer or get a reccomendation for a good zuki tech and see if it is w/ the FI system

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
loose lifter and valve adjustment incorrect? :?:

On our hot rods we took a broom handle and set it against the valve cover to listen to the valves and lifters....

This was the first thing that came to mind ...that since these are solid lifters and must be adjusted correctly that perhaps it is not a fuel knock but a maladjusted valve/lifter.

FWIW...

Bob :wink:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Box, thanks. I was wondering about the term fuel knock. The others I know about. My old car used to live on Moroso fuel additive. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes they do call it by other names that is just the term i always heard in the south. The bike was just serviced new plugs valve adjustment the works. Did it before the service and after i know that usually it is caused because the timing is off but with no actual timing to set your self no way for me to do it i thought about getting a power commander to see if that would help but hate to spend it if it does not help. Though i am pretty sure that the timing is the problem. And as i said the local dealer does not know his &%$$#$ from a whole in the ground. i have thought about getting pipes and a different breather so maybe i will just get all three and see.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I would recheck the tappet adjustments. They could have done it for the proper gap, but maybe they were not at TDC.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Are you sure you're not lugggin it? These low compression engines don't usually complain about octane.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Early spark is all I can think of....or maybe too much carbon on top of the piston....or a non-rotating valve that isn't cooled properly by exhaust scavenging.

Could be a score on the cylinder wall too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am almost cretin it is early spark has done it since it was new i just think it was set wrong from the get go i think i will try a power commander .Runs very rich also the turn signal stay black i wash it and after a couple of hours it is black again indicating too much fuel.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Do yourself a favor and have the valves adjusted somewhere else. Or do them yourself. These things will run with the valves adjusted off but they don' run right. That is what I would have checked before I started putting different parts etc into the equation. Take the bike to a different shop or dealer if the one you are dealing with is a dumbas$. or do the job yourself. The how to is at www.therusks.com

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Check valves are right.. first... because if they are too tight... that can be a real issue. Too loose is noisey, but won't do anything real bad to the engine, just some loss of power.

No... this is not normal. Octane, on a Volusia ?? I've never heard of "ping" due to octane on a Volusia... but I don't have an FI either.

Black turn signals... oh MY GOD.... talk about "rich". Hopefully that's carbon deposits .... not oil. But that much carbon in your engine isn't good either....

Find a dealer who knows what he's doing. The best one around here, is a Kaw dealer.... the Suz dealer doesn't know how to find his way home at the end of the work day.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I wonder if the injection controller is mis-sensing the air\fuel requirement...

Does your cranckcase oil turn dark quickly after an oil change?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would check your spark plugs and ensure you have the proper heat range and gapping. These bikes are sensitive with the on board computers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
valves

The first time i adjusted my valves mine didn't sound exactly right either. It seemed to run fine but their was something that just wasn't right. I started it up cold and put both my hands behind the exhaust, one for the front cylinder and the other for the rear cylinder. After about 20 seconds the hand on the back cylinder was clean and the front cylinder hand was black. The problem was the valve adjustment on the exhaust on the front cylinder was to tight. Gave it a little more clearance and everything was just fine and the sound came back as normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts