Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 02 volusia back from the shop about a month and a half ago. I've rode it 3 or 4 times in since then. Yesterday, i took it on it's longest ride. I was on the road for 5+ hours and in the last 20 miles back to home, i had a failure of some sort. It started popping and crackling on deceleration really rapidly and aggressively. The idle dropped way down(sounds lower than a cammed harley) and it was hesitating and jerking rolling on the throttle. I tried to adjust the idle and it just died. This morning i checked the oil and it has fuel in it. My bike has cobra pipes and hypercharger intake. Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing this issue?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Stuck float that is just allowing raw gas to pour into the combustion chamber. Pull the carb, check the float, needle and diaphragm. Change the oil.

Reactions: wehr-me

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check all of that. It had a pinched fuel before it went into the shop. Is it possible that it was hard on the plugs running lean because of that and, one of them gave out because of the stress of the big ride?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
A "pinched fuel line" would suggest it was improperly routed when the tank was previously removed. If it happened again, that's an issue with your mechanic.

The addition of the hypercharger and pipes necessitated a complete rebuild of the carb to begin with. If it wasn't done, or wasn't done correctly, then you need to take it back to wherever you had the work done and get it repaired correctly this time.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Maybe late to the party, but you should check, or replace the fuel petcock. The fuel petcock on your bike is vacuum operated, i.e., it's supposed to be "OFF" while the engine is not running, but vacuum from a running engine opens the fuel valve. That you had noticeable fuel in the crankcase, I'm guessing the vacuum diaphragm in the fuel petcock is failed and allowing fuel to fill the carb bowl, and thus into the cylinders, past the rings and into the oil.

On the VL800, the fuel petcock is an easy thing to change.

FWIW, I have a similar problem with my '02 Bandit and have swapped the vacuum operated fuel petcock for a manual one by Pingel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the help but, i think it's just going back to the shop. I'm not a great mechanic, I've messed with it enough for two life times in the last year and, i don't wanna fuck it up worse. They engine design is really stupid and hard to work on these bikes. I think she's going bye-bye after I get all the issues fixed.

·
Super Moderator
25,382 Posts
kinda curious...how long have you had the bike...how many miles have you put on it since you got it and what was the mc in the shop for last month?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kinda curious...how long have you had the bike...how many miles have you put on it since you got it and what was the mc in the shop for last month?
I've had almost 2 years I've put maybe 7k on it. The bike was in the shop because, last august or September I put pipes and a hypercharger on it and i tried everything to get it right and never could. Turned out to be a fuel line pinched by the tank(yeah I'm a dumbass) and it's still not right. Should've just left it stock.

·
Super Moderator
25,382 Posts
definitely not a dumb ass...we get these toys to make them what we want them to be...some do mechanical upgrades, some cosmetic/comfort...some just put gas in them and ride them...me...on the mechanical end...I'm one of those "if it ain't broke and running good, leave well enough alone"... have put mucho $$$ making the look to my liking...probably could feed the state of Rhode Island for a week for the money I have spent on the cosmetic purchases on my 3 bikes I've owned...admire those that are not afraid to tinker and do their own repairs...good luck with solving the issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done literally nothing else to it than pipes and intake. Probably won't either. I've taken it apart and put it back together so many times that the love I had for the bike is faded. I got it for a steal and it's not a bad bike. I just don't love it like I used to.

·
Super Moderator
25,382 Posts
sounds like its time to move on then...once the love is gone, the little annoying things that seldom mattered, now become a thorn in your side...time to start shopping...good luck, hope you find something that fits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds like its time to move on then...once the love is gone, the little annoying things that seldom mattered, now become a thorn in your side...time to start shopping...good luck, hope you find something that fits.
I appreciate that. I really like the look of the yamaha raiders

1 - 14 of 14 Posts