Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank is almost full but the gauge is on E and it's blinking. I'm thinking maybe the sending unit. I don't know where it is but my first guess is under the speedo. I'd appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
604 Posts
your float might be stuck

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
The fuel gauge assembly uses a float attached to a rheostat. Either the float is stuck at the bottom of the tank, or the rheostat went bad. The replacement cost is about $100 or you can do what the rest of us did when Suzuki dropped the fuel gauge on the C50 for a while. Use the trip odometer to track your miles. After 120 or so miles, start looking for gas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Blinking "E" also means "open circuit", what any fuel gauge will read if the sensor is disconnected. More ohms= lower fuel level, so no circuit (infinite ohms), it just takes as completely out of gas.

I'd start checking connections and wires under the tank, particularly if it was recently removed for some reason. The float can be stuck, or the rheostat failed as well, but fairly often inop fuel gauges on bikes were from pinched wires, mangled pins in a connector, or something similar (i.e user/mechanic error).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts