Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals

I have an ‘07 C50 and I love riding it as much time as I can but have had an issue with it and the shop that has been working on it.

this bike was a gift from my dad who was also an avid rider so it has a great deal a value to me and I need to get it back on the road

So it started back firing a little here and there and took it in to the shop and they said it was fixed and so I rode it to vacation as I take a lot of logs distant rides 500+ miles and I burned 2 tanks of gas to go 150 miles and almost 3 on the way back and it stared really back firing and it smelled like it was burning very rich so I took it back and they said once again that problem was resolved and they test rode it.

such BS if you ask me since I trailered it home and it now stalls every time I throttle so I can’t even get it out of the drive way and in case you can’t not tellI am super frustrated and very discouraged about the bike after $900 in non repair costs and I have tried finding another local mechanic but have had no luck

so at this point I am looking for help and suggestions about what it could be and what to do

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
You're either running rich, have an injector stuck open or you have a cylinder not firing. The last one seems the least probable or you' ld have mentioned a lack of power when it happens.
I'm no cycle mechanic, but Id put my money on the injectors.

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
One other idea. Does the bike sound loud when it's running or is it quiet? If it's loud, check the exhaust and see if someone has debaffled it or drilled holes in the plate at the back end of the exhaust. That can cause a lot of backfiring on the bike if the fuel hasn't been adjusted after the exhaust has been modified. Other than that, Scorpion has made some great suggestions for you.

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
Ah! Yeah, if it ran great for the first 5 or 6 years, then you can ignore my suggestion about the exhaust. I figured you had just gotten it. I'm definitely not a mechanic either, but a vacuum line sounds reasonable to me. The first place I might go is pulling the plugs and see what they look like. Maybe even put fresh ones in there just for good measure. The plugs can tell you a lot about how the engine is running.

Don't worry, Scorpion and I aren't the top shelf mechanics around here. Personally, I just know enough to be able to avoid paying people to work on stuff because I'm cheap, or should I say broke. There are guys that are way more knowledgable than us. Be patient and hang out for a bit, one of them will be along shortly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks

These have done these already

new plugs
Injector cleaning
New coil caps
New plug wire

unfortunately this was the first year Suzuki put a computer on the bike and it has no diagnostic port so old and new school mechanic needed to service and trouble sho

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
I'm like whiskey. (Cheap) . But I have a feeling the vacuum line is reasonable. I believe that the pair valve is supposed to help stop the backfire also. There could be an air leak with it also.

Does it have O2 sensors on the exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
64 Posts
'05 was the first year of the "computer" or conversion to EFI, and there is a diagnostic port, behind the right side cover. However, if there are any fault codes active CHEC flashes on the odometer and the FI light will be on. If no FI light, activating dealer mode via the diagnostic port (to see specifically what code is stored) won't tell you anything. It'll just show code 0, which means "no codes active". If CHEC is flashing, there's two pins on that port you jump together, directions on using dealer mode are posted here. But this is a fairly rudimentary EFI system compared to modern cars, and the bike can run like total crap and not throw any codes, seen that loads of times.

Very high fuel consumption on an EFI bike most commonly means a stuck/leaking injector, or less likely, a failed regulator (when those fail, they usually fail open, not closed, resulting in too low fuel pressure, rather than too high). C50's with normal riding can expect around 40mpg, and usually 120ish to the fuel light. Blowing through a tank of fuel in 50-75 miles is definitely not normal.

A broken vacuum line has the opposite effect, it's allowing extra air in so it runs lean, this is usually also accompanied by loss of power, a surging/unsteady idle. On bikes with O2 sensors the computer will try to correct this lean condition by adding fuel, but there's a pretty narrow window it can play with before it reaches an "out of bounds" correction and it trips the FI light. It won't keep endlessly adding more fuel- usually if it reaches +/- 10% or so from base it maxes out and throws a code.

Dropping $900 and the bike is still essentially undriveable I'd be hauling it back there and raising hell at the service desk. Being this shop sounds highly questionable at best, I'd be dubious the injectors were properly cleaned/tested. This is relatively easy to do yourself with a cheap $15 kit available on ebay or amazon- it's an adapter to send pressure from a can of carb cleaner into the injector, and a little harness connector so you can power the injector with a 9v to cycle it open. This allows you to readily see if it leaks under pressure, as well as open it to check spray pattern and blow out any crud. While that's not the "proper" way, it's good enough 99% of the time to identify a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is awesome info and I greatly appreciate your help, as far as taking it back, if they can’t find the port and they are a Suzuki Dealer/rep I would rather try and find a real mechanic to fix it

I think they work on bikes to get people to trade in to another bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m in gainesville Florida so if anyone knows a good mechanic I would be very greatful

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven’t been able to ride in about 2 yrs due to $ and time and kids but now I am starting to get my time back and started working on cleaning up bike and trying to get it started

so long story short, tried starting the bike last nite and realized that the gas was gone and left black specs as far as I can tell in the tank so how do I clean the tank out

I will be pulling the tank off between now and the weekend and the battery and hopefully can at least get it started by Sunday

1 - 15 of 15 Posts