Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get the exhaust pipes off of the cylinder head but the allen bolt is frozen solid. It felt like the allen wrench was starting to turn inside the bolt so I backed off and sprayed it with WD40. I know I'm going to have to get a impact driver eventually (the kind you use with a hammer), but when I look online I don't see any with allen attachments. Anybody know any tricks to get this loose without damaging it?
Thanks,
Clayton

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I am trying to get the exhaust pipes off of the cylinder head but the allen bolt is frozen solid. It felt like the allen wrench was starting to turn inside the bolt so I backed off and sprayed it with WD40. I know I'm going to have to get a impact driver eventually (the kind you use with a hammer), but when I look online I don't see any with allen attachments. Anybody know any tricks to get this loose without damaging it?
Thanks,
Clayton
There are 3/8 drive sockets with the Allen hex that you can use with the impact driver...

Not sure how far along you are with the disassembly but starting the engine and getting everything warmed up might be helpful in getting it to loosen more easily.... and there are better ''penetrating'' fluids than wd40..... Not that it doesn't work much of the time but......

A little ''never seize'' on reassembly and the torque spec less 25% will help for next time.....

Hope someone else has better ideas......

Reactions: Clayton

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
If you can get a set of vice grips in there and lock them on the side of the head that'll break it loose. You're going to want to replace the bolt after though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you want to try the impact driver, try your local Lowes or Home Depot, as they have a wide assortment of air tool sockets which will usually work with a hammer type impact driver.

Other things to try:

- give the bolt head a couple whacks with a hammer. this is often enough to break loose the rust between the bolt and the head that is holding it tight.

- rust penetration spray. PB Blaster is the best- WAY better then WD-40. Let it work overnight.

- heat. A handheld torch will heat the bolt, making it and the surrounding area expand a little. Get the bolt nice and hot, then apply an ice cube to it for a minute to make it rapidly shrink back. This will break the seal and the bolt should come right out.

- combine all three: whack with a hammer, soak with BP Blaster overnight, whack with a hammer again, heat, ice remove.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Try "Liquid Wrench" it is the best I have ever used!!!!

Reactions: Clayton

·
Registered
119 Posts
Same thing just happened to me... Blow torch on the bolt head will loosen then up... You can try running the bike for awhile but not sure if that will be as effective as the blow torch. I tried everything else. Only the torch worked.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Thanks for all the excellent idea's. That should keep me going for a while.
PB & lots of heat. If you have a small impact start it on a lower setting.

The trick is, do not apply any more torque than it takes to get the bolt moving. Then when it does start to move add more PD. Work the bolt in and out many times. Every time you go CCW it will move a little more. DO NOT rush this unless you want a busted bolt head. BTDT!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts