Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to give the bike a once over and see that the left side of my front tire is really getting worn. I know the left will wear faster than the right here in the US, but these tires only have about 5K miles. Should they be this far down? Is it time to panic? This picture is the worst section.

BTW, the nasty scratch on the fender was there when I bought it. Don't blame me.

I appreciate any input from folks with more experiance than me. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
I'm no expert but I would replace it myself. That just looks like it could slide out from under you in a curve to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have never seen a tire where like that. I would change that also. Gotta effect the way your bike handles.

·
Premium Member
28,465 Posts
:shock: That is shot! Does the bike handle funny at all? I wonder if the tire is out of balance to wear that much in so few miles.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I wonder if the fender scratch has something to do with a hard hit on the front tweaking the forks a bit?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I was ready to run out and replace it, but was afraid I was over reacting.

I have exactly the same number of miles on me as the tires, so my well of experience is not very deep.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JimKo said:
I wonder if the fender scratch has something to do with a hard hit on the front tweaking the forks a bit?
Oh great. Now I can worry about that!!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
JimKo said:
That's exactly what I was thinking too..

waterdog,you need to have your tire guy check out that rim to see if it's true and that the bearings didn't get fouled up when that scratch occured... I'm guessing someone went down hard... if the rim is good, I would keep a REAL close eye on your new tire.. If it starts to wear like this I'd visit a frame guy to have your frame and forks aligned.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Waterdog,

You (correctly) alluded to the road slope as a contributing factor to tires wearing on the left side. There is also an additional possibility - some people tend to take left-hand curves much more aggressively than right- hand turns, because you can usually see much farther ahead on a left-hand curve. Add to this the fact that you spend more miles doing left-hand curves than right-had curves (because you are following the outer perimeter of a curve when going left), and that adds up to lots more wear on the left side. Still, 5k miles seems like a very short tire life. Do you keep a close eye on the tire pressure and maintain 29 to 32 psi on the front at all times?

Good luck on your next tire. If you do a search on this site for tires, you'll find as many opinions on various tire brands as you do on various motor oils.

·
Registered
2 Posts
front tire

you may want to have your forks looked at, they may need to be drained and refilled to the right spects.if the bike has 15,000.00 miles or more it may be due depending on road conditions :shock:

·
Registered
13,221 Posts
waterdog said:
awww come on ... you can clearly still see tread pattern in the middle of the left half ... :lol:

this is mine - just took pic... just a couple hundred over 12k on them ...

:oops:

trying to take harder rights now so I can even the wear out ...
:twisted:

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Re: front tire

decked c50 said:
you may want to have your forks looked at, they may need to be drained and refilled to the right spects.if the bike has 15,000.00 miles or more it may be due depending on road conditions :shock:
WELCOME to the VR site, new member.

Pete

·
Administrator
54,457 Posts
Almost appears as if the air pressure has been run too low in that tire.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Psyc0 said:
Almost appears as if the air pressure has been run too low in that tire.
That would be too simple. I check them at least once a week and have never run under 29. I started runnng at 32 a few month ago after reading that bikes with windshields need to run a little harder.

I'm putting on a new tire so I can make the ride this weekend without worrying the whole time. Then I'm gona have it checked out to be sure the fork is not tweeked.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had 14000 miles on my stock IRC tires. The back one was pretty much bald in the middle (didn't wear well at all). The front one was pretty much fine. Are these IRC tires?? I assume these tires where on it when you bought it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought the bike from a dealer who took it in trade. They put new tires on it at that time. The tires are Dunlop 404's. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find the the fork is a little out of wack.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You seem to be a firm believer in the saying "two wrongs dont make a right, but three lefts do" 8)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it looks like I've been riding around in a circle for 5000 miles. I really do know how to turn right. Really, I do, honest.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts