Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need some air in my front tire and as i was putting the air in I just happens to notice the “rotation arrow” was pointing backwards,, to the back of the bike,,, the tires are the Metzeler 888 white walls,,, the rear tire is mounted correctly … is this an issue I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
20,695 Posts
Yes. The tire is directional because of the way the tread design manages water. If you run it backwards, you run the risk of hydroplaning and losing control of the bike if you ride in any wet conditions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow! I thought that I was the only one with that luck. I'd get that corrected ASAP. Remember, the tire changer is the typically the new/inexperienced guy at the shop. It happened to me too the last time that I had tires mounted at a shop. I have since started doing it myself!

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep that’s what I am doing in the mornin,, I am doing it my self,, guess it is true,,, want it done right the first time, do it yourself,,,lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shop rates and tire price mark-up/gouging have been shooting up like crazy around me. I'm done with them. I started mounting and balancing my own a year or so ago and will probably invest in a No-Mar tire changer soon. I have enough bikes to justify and pay for the machine. And, like you said, it's nice to know that its done correctly and on our own schedule!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
So I need some air in my front tire and as i was putting the air in I just happens to notice the “rotation arrow” was pointing backwards,, to the back of the bike,,, the tires are the Metzeler 888 white walls,,, the rear tire is mounted correctly … is this an issue I should be concerned about?
is the arrow pointing towards the back of the bike at the road or at the top of the tire....at the road it should point towards the rear.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the arrow pointing towards the back of the bike at the road or at the top of the tire....at the road it should point towards the rear.
I’ll have to look,, I don’t recall where it was

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some people will mount an oversized rear tire on the front. They suggest mounting them backwards. I don't know why but I've read about the practice on other forums.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do...

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the 888 Metzlere White wall tires and yes the front one was mounted backwards, i have already flipped it and pinched a hole on the tube. Got one that will be here today...thx for all the help yall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some people will mount an oversized rear tire on the front. They suggest mounting them backwards. I don't know why but I've read about the practice on other forums.
Funny, that's old school BMX and mountain bike theory (traction and tracking). In this situation, I'd suggest that it's just as nuts as darksiding a motorcycle. Lots of guys can do it, but I'll stick with factory engineering when it comes to tires, especially on my Goldwing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts