Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to Suzuki. I have been reading a lot of posts about front end wobble or shimmy. I just bought my wife a C50T Trike with the Lehman kit. When I bought it the front end wobbled but the trike had been sitting for years in the same position and the tire was dry rotted. Got it home and went thru the entire bike front to back including replacing the tire and having all the wheels balanced. Wobble improved but still present.

I then made sure the bike was aligned by measuring from the front axle to both middle tear tires and measuring from the lower center frame to both back tires. All looks good

I took the front tire off again and I have 0 head play and the steering is smooth and true.

I them installed a stabilizer from the front fork to the frame, steering improved a bit but still present.

So my next thought was since the front forks are a bit soft was to change the fluid. Has anyone done this without removing the front end? I have an electric oil pump with a small hose and was hoping just to loosen the top tree, remove the nuts and suck out the old oil and put in new.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
First off, there is nothing you can do to cure steering wobble when you have a trike or side car. You can install a damper (which you did) but it doesn't eliminate the problem all together. If you want to change the fluid, you have to pull the forks out of the triple tree and then disassemble on a bench. There is no way to just pull the nut and suck the fluid out of the forks while on the bike.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Dumb question, but are you holding the bars tight?

My C90 will death wobble at speed if I relax my grip on, or momentarily let go of the bars. This can be mitigated by me shifting my weight forward on the seat, putting more weight on the front end.

My theory, although unproven, for the wobble is the bike is already rear heavy, and has a trunk (more wind drag), and I tend to sit as far back as possible for comfort (long legs).

The idea of moving my weight forward to prevent the wobble is borrowed from how to load a trailer properly, slightly nose heavy, to prevent swaying.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
32,937 Posts
My theory, although unproven, for the wobble is the bike is already rear heavy, and has a trunk (more wind drag), and I tend to sit as far back as possible for comfort (long legs).
This was my thought. I don't know much about a trike, but I would think the weight of the rear would lighten the load on the front tire and tend to cause a wobble. I was expecting someone who's ridden a trike to chime in and say it was normal.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
It is normal. That's why they sell steering dampers, to dial down the oscillation.

Reactions: Whiskey
1 - 7 of 7 Posts